Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone not use a bed rail on toddler bed?

I am having such a problem finding a bed rail to suit my toddler's cot bed, and my 29month (who moved into bed on Saturday) has fallen out of bed 3 nights in a row.

I have put a folded quilt cover under her sheet to try and stop her rolling out, but it doesnt work.

has anyone got any tips to stop toddler rolling out of bed?

Will they actually learn quickly not to roll out or does it take some time?

I have a quilt on the floor next to the bed but worry if it is hurting the little one.

Any advice much appreciated.

Replies

• Options
    we have fluffy pillows on the floor, he has only fallen out a handful of times in 6 months and got himself back in or fallen alseep on the floor :lol:
  • Options
    We never had a bed rail for DS1 - we did the same as you, and rolled a few towels up and stuck them between the mattress and the bed on one end so that it was raised up so that if he rolled that way he'd simply roll back and wouldn't be able to roll out of bed (the other side was the wall) We did the same thing with DS2 the other week when we stayed overnight at my parents' and he was in the bottom bunk - DS3 now has the travel cot.

Maybe if you made the edge of the bed even higher it might work a little better?

Sorry, I'm not much help
  • Options
    Hi, Not sure if the below will be of any use, they have in cot bed size and are just inflatable tubes which fit into a special mattress cover.

http://www.duskymoon.com/products-2/dream-tubes/dream-tubes-product-details/
  • Options
    FAB! Thanks so much. Will try the pillows under the mattress thing first, and if that doesn't work, will look at the dream tubes - although they are very expensive.
  • Options
    Good idea with rolling the towels I might try it when we take my lo's sides off xx
  • Options
    Hi, ive got a bed rail on my little boys bed and I got it from Ikea for a tenner!! It covers about 3/4 of the bed so he can get out at the bottom of the bed. Hes a wriggler so darent take it off. Its just a wood white coloured one, that is not too big and looks nice on his cot bed. If I find it on Ikea website I will put link on here. xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I've had exactly the same problem with my daughter and a friend recommended these www.bed-guards.co.uk

They are made of foam and so much cheaper than Dream tubes. My daughter loves them cos they just make a bump on the edge of the bed rather than looking like a side all over again. I can sit on them at story time and they bounce right back up. I've got a pair I leave at grandma's house too for those all important sleepovers.

I'm really pleased with mine and will be taking on holiday with me too image
  • Options

Pool Noodles work wonders!

• Options

After a few bumps they usually learn to stop rolling. In the meantime some pillows or anything for a soft landing will help

• Options

my 23 month old started sleeping in his little race car toddler bed, which is also VERY low to the ground, about 3 months ago, and we never used a rail either, and he was a real flopper in his crib. at first i would shove a hard flat sofa cushion between the mattress and the side of the bed, but after a bit, stopped doing even that. he never had a problem.

with a twin bed, i would think your son would have even more room, and wouldn't fall... but i don't know... i will let other parents answer that one (and will then discover whether i am delinquent or not also !)

• Options

ive never used a bed rail and all of mine soon got the hang of not falling out I never used one as I thought they have to learn not to fall out once the rail is removed anyway