Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

confused about all this new dummy 'advice'

can anyone help?

i am a bit confused about this new research into dummies and cot death,

we were told dummies reduce the risk. then got told if we give a dummy, then take it away this increases the risk... I am already confused?

when they say 'take it away'... do they mean at 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?

if my baby uses one at night to fall asleep but spits it out after about 2 mins am I meant to shove it back in or is that ok?

if one night he settles himself and falls asleep without it, is this like me taking it away? should I again shove it in even though it wouldn't stay in?????

I am really very confused and don't want to put my baby at more risk...

also if he uses it at night to settle but doesn't need it during the day to settle is this ok? or should he use it at every nap time???????

thanks in advance for any advice?

(also posted in toddler forum)

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

This is what fsids say about it. They are involved in all the research and know the very latest advice.

http://fsid.org.uk/page.aspx?pid=416

I used a dummy with DD for naps and bedtime, if it fell out and she stayed asleep I left it out, if she woke up I put it back in. She also had it in the car but only if I wanted her to go to sleep. I took it away when she was 14 months and didn't need it anymore.

I plan to do exactly the same when number two arrives.

Hope that helps.

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    mgirls had dummys when they were babies. my eldest had hers before the new advise came to light and had it until she was 2 and half.

lizzie had hers for naps and night time only and if it fell out i left it out if she woke i put it back in (or she learnt to do this herslef) and then at 16 months i just stopped giving it to her as i felt she didnt need it anymore.

• Options
    Amber had one from 6 weeks until 9 months when she didn't want it anymore. She had it for long car journeys, naps and bed but never woke up when it fell out.
  • Options
    Thank you it is really useful to hear what other mummies have done.

xxxxxx
  • Options
    we used it from the first week with ds and from what i remember reading its the dropping off to sleep that it reduces the risk for so it doesnt matter if it pops out, DS always used to spit his out when asleep, not introduced it yet this time x
  • Options
    Hi.

I can appreciate how confusing the new guidelines are. My wife and I were scared of cot death for both our babies and because of the new guidelines that showed that giving a dummy, even for short naps, can reduce the risk of cot death, we decided to invent a device that will keep the dummy from falling out of the cot. Our daugther would push it out either in an effort to grab it, or in frustration and it would fall out of the cot. This device permanently anchors the dummy to the mattress of the cot. It's up to you if you think it will help you with your baby, but I can refer you to the quotes we have given on our website for the use of dummies and cot death. It might confirm what you are already thinking, or not. Good luck.

http://www.sleeptightgenius.com/#/using-a-soother/4554688441