Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When to start using a duvet / pillow

Hi all,

My DD is coming up to the 18 months mark and we are currently using gro-bags, as she is about to outgrow the ones she has now we are wondering whether to start going for a toddler duvet?

She also uses her teddies as a pillow and we have been told you can get small children ones.

She has a cot/bed, but I think like lots of toddlers will fidget and move up and down the cot, change direction and so on..

Wondering if any of you have any experiences you could share such as; was there any sleepless nights, did they get used to it or was it harder to transition if you continued to use gro bags up to the age of 36 months etc...

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    i started using a pillow and duvet at about 14 months with Lizzie. i found she stayed more in 1 place with it!

lizzie sleeps in a fleecy sleepsuit with a single duvet, but she did have a toddler duvet to begin with.

• Options
    we started using a pillow at 12 months and we switched to a toddler bed with a duvet at 13 months x
  • Options
    We swapped over when ds outgrew his 12-18 month sleeping bags around 17months-pushed it as long as we could. We kept him in the grobag with a pillow for a week then introduced the duvet. Whenever we've tried him with a quilt before he always woke up

Cold so we got the grobag bedding set- the pillow case is attached to the sheet and duvet zips on, must say its been fab http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003VYADVS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=asc_df_B003VYADVS5493238&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003VYADVS

You can get cot size pillows and cot or cotbed size duvets
  • Options
    Morning,

We swopped when he outgrew his 12 - 18 grow bages. He does kick things off now and then but doesnt generally wake up cold. The pillow def helped to keep him in one place . good luck xx
  • Options
    We also swapped when she outgrew her 6-18 month grobags. It has stopped her moving about so much which is great.
  • Options
    We started the transition at about 12 months (we needed to get her out of her cot at 17 months so the next one could have it!). First of all, we used her Grobag but added a pillow. Once she'd got the hang of that we swapped to a duvet and then once she'd got used to that we moved the whole package to her toddler bed x
  • Options
    We started using both at around 15 months, but we use a light duvet & a light gro-bag with legs in it so if he kicks off the duvet (which he still does!!) he doesnt get cold. We got this type of gro bag - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004MW45NA/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1334064716&sr=8-2 - though not that pattern image

• Options
    We started in the summer so that it didn't matter so much if Abby kicked the duvet off. She was still in a cot at the time so it was harder to lose the duvet altogether. She was about 20 months at the time. Because Charlie was so poorly and didn't get home from hospital until 4 months old and then slept in a bouncy chair for 2 months we didn't move her out of the cot until she was 26 months (2yrs 2mths). By this time she was used to a duvet even through the winter and adapted very well to a single bed, duvet and pillow. I didn't see the point of a pillow before then and she has only started really using it since her 3rd birthday.

We will follow the same basic pattern with Charlie - move to duvet/quilt in the summer (22months) and then remove the sides from his cot bed once he is used to the duvet.

H x
  • Options

it's pretty much a case of whenever you think they will need it as long as its anti allergy and not thick you should be fine.

my son was 11 months when he had his first pillow as he used his toys as pillows its not a big pillow just one for a cotbed and from that night on he slept though a lot better and the toys got kicked out. by his 1st birthday he needed a duvet at he was shivering in his grow bag and the cotbed got taken apart and turned into a toddler bed to stop him trying to climb out. now that it has warmed up he is back to just blanket and pillow.

• Options

my son is 15 months old im debating whether to give him a duvet and pillow to try and help him sleep through the night cause now its getting cold hes waking up more often than usual and is waking up cold, he still in his cot as he dont manage to climb out of it, just asking would he be ok in his cot with a pillow and toddler quilt or even a duvet????+