Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Fussy toddler

Hi ladies,

I really hope someone can give me some advice.

My youngest son is now 16 months and has always been a great eater. I mean that kid would seriously eat anything you'd put in front of him and eat with gusto. Now though I can't get him to eat his meals. He'll always happily eat his breakfast but he won't touch his lunch or dinner. I think it started when he was feeling a bit rubbish with teething. He just looks at the spoon and shakes his head. I try feeding him, I try finger food, I try letting him feed himself but he just won't eat! The only things he'll eat are bananas, maybe some other types of fruit but not always, dried fruit, porridge or weetabix, yogurt, and sometimes toast. I cook every meal from scratch (well, more or less!) and as well as worrying about him turning into a 'freaky eater' and worrying about his nutrition and health, I'm getting stressed out at spending so much time preparing meals that just get ignored. Incidentally I've tried ready meals and he's no keener to try them.

Sorry about the essay. I just don't know how to handle this. Apart from the odd, very brief phrase, I never had such bother with his big brother.

Any tips/advice?

Replies

• Options
    I have read before about starting from scratch when they get like this. That means going back to soft foods like you did when weaning and then building it up again to more solids? My daughter has been through phases like this, particularly where she has preferred soft foods due to teething. It doesn't last though, I would say persevere or try mushier foods? He won't starve, if he's hungry he'll eat, he may just be concerned that some foods will hurt his mouth? image