Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Embarrassing toddler behaviour!?

Hi, I'm writing a piece for the mag on challenging/embarrassing toddler behaviour. Has your little one gone through a phase of touching their bottoms, getting naked or picking their nose (and eating the findings!) – or anything else of a similar nature – in public? And if so, how did you deal with it?

I'd love to hear from anyone who can identify with this phase of life...

Many thanks

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Sarah 

Replies

• Options

I could write a book on embarassing toddlers, my daughter especially seems intent on humiliating us entirely on most outings.

it started slowly with them quietly muttering beep beep at ANYONE who got in front of the pushchair they were 2 and 10mnths!

Now we have full scale toddler warfare, Lola she is a one, her most impressive 'incident' was at the supermarket, she decided she wanted another block of the cheese, i said no we have cheese, she begins hissing the word cheese quite like gollum from lotr. when i say no we have cheese again she throws herself to the floor with an almighty screech of CHEEEEEEESE and begins undressing herself.

then there was the time at a lovely busy village fete she was invited up front at the magic show, she calmly shoves her hand into her skirt and nappy and states its her mary and has a nice um, rummage around down there. then licks.her.fingers. i mean WHY???

they both pick there nose and eat it.

they both take any opportunity to strip off

jacks favourite thing is to walk downstairs from the bathroom (in anyones house) trouser round ankles singing LILLY LILLY meaning willy and waggling it about.

Jack announcing loudly as he leaves the toilets at soft play, daddys lilly is HUGE compared to mine, my lilly is oh so tiny, why mummy??

Frequently pulling my top down in public (when i breastfed i hid a dummy in the hamock they call a nursing bra)

the general screaming together around the supermarket, it takes surround sound to a whole other level.

Lola once spent an hour at pizza hut chewing pizza and the forcing through her teeth with disgusting sound effects.

they both think its hilarious to take a huge mouthfull of drink to let it dribble out down there chin.

thats enough, or ill make them look like complete hellians, theyre adorable really, just like puppys never have two together as pack instinct takes over lol image

• Options
    Is my 22 months old daughter. Wenever we said no, you cant have it. she will just lie flat on the floor face downwards. It can be in the supermarket, kitchen, toilet or resturants! We really dun know it is a bless cos lucky she didnt kick and cry at the same time! That will be very worse!
  • Options

hmmm well where do i start lol

the most normal thing for charlie to do is throw a tantrum generally in a busy supermarket or shop and throw himself on the floor we generally just ignore it and try and carry on as normal but it got so bad one day and he just wasnt stopping so to my horror my hubby john started imitating charlie and within mins charlie was just as shocked as i was that he stopped lolimage

another incident was we were saying goodbye to one of my friends after a playdate and i said to charlie to say goodbye and as i was holding him he leant forward and grabbed my friends boob and said 'beep beep boobies' i was mortified but luckily my friend just laughed and luckily she has her own children and she works in childcare so it didnt bother her

kids hey such little monkeys always full of surprises but us parents wouldn't have it any other way image 

• Options

Hi Laura

Thanks so much for your reply - it was very funny!  I'd love to quote you in the magazine. Would that be ok? (And they may then use it on the web too - again, is that all right?). 

The thing I'd like to quote you on and get a bit more info on is: "jacks favourite thing is to walk downstairs from the bathroom (in anyones house) trouser round ankles singing LILLY LILLY meaning willy and waggling it about."

Can I ask how you "cope" with this when it happens - and especially when it happens at someone else's house? Do you just calmly ignore it and then help pull histrousers up? Explain that people need to keep their clothes on at other people's houses?Is there a toy you have that you can distract him with??

And as well as replying to this (please do send to my personal email  - sarah.hart1@mac.com)can you mail me a pic of yourself with your kids (if you have one of them and you together, otherwise just you is fine) plus your full name, age, where you're from and the names and ages of your children? 

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you!

Sarah x  image