Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

lack of iron

I did not have much of an understanding of lack of iron in children over 6 months and I'm now concerned that my lo is not getting enough. I breast feed and he has never had formula containing iron. He does have breakfast containing added iron but I dont think there is enough in his diet. I dont eat much meat but I do try to include it in his food where I can  but its hard when he eats what I eat and I dont really want to cook too many different meals. Does anyone have any advise? Or can recommend vitamins to use?

Replies

• Options

Hey chick any good kids multivitamin should contain iron just look at the back of the pack. Or maybe ask the chemist to recommend something? X

• Options

Are they different depending on age? 

• Options

Yeah for your lo you will get a medicine type of vitamin, I think from 3 upwards you can give chewy vitamins. I used to use something called abidec but not sure if it has iron in it. I just read somewhere that babies get 50% iron from breast milk, maybe try giving lots of iron rich fruit n veg? Apricots, Raisins, spinach, leeks even apples and pears x

• Options

Thanks LH86 image Just found this on the web...

IRON--Although the amount of iron in breast milk is very low (0.3 milligrams of iron per liter), the infant absorbs almost half. In contrast, while iron-fortified formulas contain 10 to 12 mg per liter, babies absorb only 4 percent, amounting to 0.4 mg per liter to 0.5 mg per liter. In either case, those amounts of iron are adequate for the first 4 to 6 months

Its something that I'm going to look into further but I think some sort of iron supplement is a good idea as my little one is now 13 1/2 months x

• Options

I'm sure if you ask a pharmacist they will b able to recommend something suitable x

• Options

i gave my little one abedec drops from 6 months old.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=Abidec Multivitamin drops

from 12 months, I wanted iron as we don't eat meat so I started giving him wellkid syrup.

below is the product detail from www.boots.com

Wellkid Baby & Infant liquid is a unique, carefully balanced combination, developed by Vitabiotics nutritional experts. No other supplement for babies and young children provides such a comprehensive combination of 14 vitamins and minerals plus flaxseed oil and malt extract.

Wellkid Baby Syrup includes:

• Vitamins A, C and D
    • B complex vitamins, including B6 and B12.
    • Vitamin D3 which helps support the health of bones.
    • Vitamin E.
    • Minerals iron, zinc and copper.

With Swiss Alpine Malt extract, Wellkid Baby Syrup is a rich source of nutrients.

Wellkid Baby Syrup also has

• No Sweeteners, artificial colours or flavours
    • No alcohol or lactose
    • No fat, salt or yeast
    • WellKid Baby & Infant has not been tested on animals

Wellkid Baby Syrup is suitable for vegetarians

How to Use

How to use Wellkid Baby Syrup:

Babies aged 3 - 6 months:

2.5ml (half teaspoon) daily.

Infants aged 7 months - 5 years

5ml (1 teaspoonful) daily.

• Options

Thanks Harjeet image

• Options

Thanks Jodie-Lou for the question and LH86 and Harjeet for the advice. Definitely something I need to look into.

I had started looking at multi-vitamins anyway, but hadn't got very far! The Baby syrup sounds like a good option.

Think a trip to the pharmacy is needed!

• Options

Don't forget that you can also give baby cereals which are fortified in iron ( I also think that some adult cereals are fortified with it too).

Your HV will be able to advise you on which supplements are recommended/safe for your little one at different ages/stages. I think if you are on a vegetarian diet then supplements are a must.

When I was pregnant with Annabel I was consistently anaemic (low iron), I added spinach to literally everything. I added it to eggs, into curries, hot pots, cottage pie and ate it raw on sandwiches or in salads. I think I must have started to look like popeye!! Ha Ha. - not actually sure it made any difference as I was anaemic until about 3 months after the birth, but who knows had I not ate spinach my iron may have been lower?!1