Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

still not potty trained

Hi Boo,

That's difficult. If she needs to be toilet trained for the nursery then you need to get it sorted but at the same time you can't make them do something they are not ready for. Jack was 3 and 2 months old before he decided he was ready in the daytime and then he was still in nappies at night until just after his fourth Birthday. He told me one night when I went to put a nappy on that he didn't need it anymore.

When I thought he may be ready, after a two week break of mentioning it, showing him the potty, etc, i got up one morning and took his nappy off and said to him there were no nappies for today it's pants and using the toilet. That worked for me.

It's a tough one, let me know how she get's on. One person said to me " Don't panic it will be sorted before they start school and that's all that matters."

Take care, Zoe x

Replies

• Options
    That's a good idea, and if they are cheapish ones then any poo accidents can just be disposed of. That's what I did. Get plenty as some days you may get through more than others.

Hope it goes well, already worrying about doing Charlotte!

Zoe x
  • Options
    Hi Boo,

You are not alone my son Joseph is 2yrs 9mths and outright refuses to go on the potty or toilet, which at the moment is a bit of a problem as we keep having to get wee samples from him because he is susceptible to uti's!!

They come round when they are ready I think and forcing the issue just makes them resent it.

Don't worry about other children being potty trained and thinking you should be there by now she will happily do it soon

Takecare hope the pants help

Love jd_mummy xx
  • Options
    Hi Boo,
    Niamhs still not trained either. Thankfully, the playschool she goes to dont mind. Like you, Ive tried everything. We've got loads of pants, which we've tried, but she just wees in them. She really cant be bothered at the moment. Again, like Zoe, you can hold a full conversation with Niamh. I think she's just too busy learning new things, and she just hasnt time for the potty/toilet at the minute.
    Im trying not to force the issue, dont want it to turn into a battle.
    They'll come around in their own time.
    Keep me posted
    Kas xx
  • Options
    Hi Boo. I faced the same problem with my son. He was due to start nursery and showed absolutely no inclination to use the potty or toilet and I thought I was at my wits end. I followed the Gina Ford regime and it worked brilliantly for Bon. I don't normally like Gina Ford but after reading every book I could lay my hands on, I realised that hers agreed with many others - put them in pants and do not go back - but she had a step by step plan that was easy to follow and full of great ideas. Bon went from refusing to sit on the potty to being dry in the day in three days. He was three years and a week old. We haven't cracked the poo thing yet, but we are getting there slowly. We started nursery on schedule and although there were accidents every day until today, today he managed to use the loo on his own for the first time.

It will happen, and as difficult as it is to hear that when you are worried as I was, afraid that I'd lose his nursery place, it really will. I was always comparing Bon with other children, trying to find examples of kids older than Bon who were not toilet trained and finding fewer and fewer the older he got and getting more and more upset about it, but he has done marvellously.

Good luck with it.

Nicolette. x
  • Options
    Hi boo
    Alot can happen between now and Jan.
    I tried to potty train my son when he was'nt ready and we had accidents galore. I think I only did it because he was a year younger than my friends son who was already nappy free during the day. We gave up and tried again a few months later and he was dry in the day and would wake to do a wee in the night too. So we went from nappies (never tried pull ups as they felt just like a nappy and thought that would confuse him) to pants almost over night as we did what you suggested and took him out and let him choose his own "big boy" pants when he was 3 and a half. The accidents we had were few and far between. I'm sure Zoe's nursery will be used to the odd accident here and there. If you relax about it a bit Zoe will too and it wont become an issue. There are definate advantages to leaving it slightly later.
    For one , they can give you a bit of warning when you are in a shop queueing.
    I hope I have not come across as Bossy/knowall ect...
  • Options
    How old is your daughter? I've been potty traing my 2 1/2 year old son for about 6weeks and although he can hold his wee for quite some time and rarely has accidents he still doesn't say when he needs to go so we have just got into the routine of regularly popping him on the potty.