Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talking

I know boys are ment to be slower than girls (so they say)

George is 15mths and can say the basic baba, mama, dada, more and ta but thats about it. We talk to him all the time and make sure that Lydia doesnt "talk" for him, but he doesnt say much!!!!!!!!
Im not expecting him to recite poetry, or quote shakespear!!! but surley a little more??
Lydia was chatting away 19 to the dozen and knew where various parts of her body was, animal sounds etc at his age but he seems to show little interest!
perhaps thats just boys for you?????????

Replies

• Options
    Jessica is 15months old as well and hardly talks at all, she babbles alot, but the only words you can understand are Hiya and Ta! She does understand body parts!
  • Options
    he understands what you are saying and somethings i can understand (but to others it sounds like dada) Perhaps i am just expecting too much from him!!
  • Options
    Sarah, don't worry, it's definately a boy thing and probably the fact that he has an older sister to do the talking for him!

We thought that William had a real speech problem, he never even said mama til he was past one, then one day at about 20 months ish, he started talking and now never stops!
  • Options
    Sarah, just another case of them again being totally different I guess. Both my boys don't stop talking, and Luka is constantly babbling away. It drives me nuts its never quiet. But it is amazing to have a really good conversation with Tate people always comment on his vocabulary. But then he was really late with walking 16months til he took his first steps. Only two months before Luka was born. So he was slow in that respect. And people keep going on that he should be potty trained by now, but he's just not intersted!
  • Options
    i suppose in other ways he is "coming on well"
    He walked 2 weeks before his 1st birthday and can now feed himslef with a spoon and can dribble a ball better than Beckham!!!! so sod the speech he can do other things!!
  • Options
    Thats right sarah, they do say boys are quicker with motor skills. He will probably just come out with loads of words all at once and surprise you!
  • Options
    Ok does this all mean Jessica is slow with her talking!
  • Options
    No Simone it doesn't. Charlotte can say a few words but she doesn't put them together to make sentences. She understands a lot but manily answers with yes and no!! Don't worry.

Zoe xx