Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

im stumped....... what to do plz plz help

well i have a 19 month old son and at the mo i feel like the most boring mom on the planet i feel like i dont have fun with him?? I work full time but i only do 3 days a week i do long hrs this is however going to stop as im going to uni full time in spet and as i sat on the loo at 5 this am getting ready to go to work it dawned on me that i will miss him so much i get 4 days off week with him at the mo and im going to loose that time with him, i will be making a better life for us though in the long run.
I want to do fun stuff with him hes such a funny child he laughs lots and id love to just play with him but how?? he has lots of cars and toys but i find myself trying to get him to play with them propley and i think i forget hes 19 months not 4 years im going to have the day with him playing silly games like passing a ball n stuff i have to get onto his level and im going to be a fun mommy?? if any of you play and certain games plz post them for me thnax for your time

Replies

• Options
    Why don't you try following his lead and then copying whatever he does? Kids love this. He bangs something so you do, he hides so you do etc etc. It sounds really simple but by doing this you're sending the message to him that your watching, listening and think what he's doing is great! The temptation is to be 'teacher mummy' (I know from experience!) but try turn the tables and let him teach you some fun. XX
  • Options
    Oh yes I agree with campbellly, my three loved me copying them, my youngest(3) still plays that game....and yes I look like a right banana but she giggles and giggles which is contageous(sp?) so i start laughing and so it goes on getting more silly until we collapse in a heap with laughter.

We also love just doodling on paper around cups, dishes, hands, feet or whatever dd wants....its something that she can do and so it doesnt matter what it looks like really.(im no artist..stick men are my limit lol)

how about blowing bubbles, its fun in winter for 10 mins!! or summer all day and a good excuse to get mucky lol.

Cant think of any more right now...kids on my case!!!

happy playing
  • Options
    hi i replied to you in working mums but just wanted to say something about the nursing course. im doing it at the mo, its set out in blocks of 5 weeks. at the mo,in this block of 5 weeks,i am in 1 day a week 9-5, in the next block of 5 weeks i am in 3 half days, then in the next block of 5 weeks its full time work then it goes back to being in uni so only upto 3 days a week. you will probably find you are at home alot more doing the uni work rather than working (unless on placement but thats only 5 weeks at a time)
    i have a 3 year old and for fun we do things like playdough on the floor/painting with our hands and feet and running around playing chase and hide and seek.
    im sure your LO will find you fun whatever you do because you are his mummy and the best person in the world to him.
    hope you enjoy uni!!!
  • Options
    Hi Happymom
    Like you i struggle with knowing what to play with my LO (21m). I think i try too hard, and he's just not ready for the games i try and play.
    I like the copying game idea - I'll try that tomorrow.
    We sing a lot, which we both enjoy, and when we do we sometimes use rattles and a drum to beat out rhythms. He also likes doing a tea party for his soft toys (just a basic toy tea set and some imagination).
    I try not to watch too much TV with him, but it is quite nice to snuggle up and watch something sometimes.
    Juliette :\)
  • Options
    It can be hard trying to be fun all the time. Do you go to any play groups? You can get loads of ideas from them. Reece loves singing - especially the ones with moves in like dingle dangle scarecrow, oh and he love the okey cokey. He loves pretend food and feeding it to his toys, and he also likes pretending to wash his teddy and brush his hair. He loves reading and sometimes will sit with me for an hour going through books and he loves going for walks through the park and we just chat and point things out and he is normally knackered by bedtime as the park near us is massive. Drawing is always a good one, oh and making a tent from the dining room chairs and a sheet and putting all his teddies in there. I think spending time with reece is harder than going to work, at this age, as he needs so much attention, but he is so much more enjoyable than the office!! and I miss him so much when I am there