Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP, hes behind :(

Hi ladies
I have been wondering recently if Harrison is behind speech wise and a chat with my childminder today confirms thaat he is slightly. He was 2 in december.

How much can other 2 year olds say? i feel that is more pronouncing the sounds that harri has trouble with eg the p, b, d, c sounds, if you say them in as in pop, baby,duck and cat.

here is a short list of thing he says
fish=ish
stuck=tuck
bye=eye
eyes
hair
feet= eet
daddy
grandad
shower= ower
dinner=ninner
car
lorry=orry
teeth=eeths
hello
no
van=aan
duck=uck

Apart from "whats that?" or "whos that?" he doesnt put a sentence together.childminder says he has got alot better in last couple of weeks but if he doesnt start saying more in next 2-3 months then i should speak to the hv.

He can hear fine and know what most things are eg if you say "were is the house, chair, mouse, mummy daddy,"

can anyone give me some advise or anything really?? image

kiea xxx

Replies

• Options
    Ok don't worry! All children progress at different rates, boys tend to progress slightly slower than girls anyway, but they soon catch up and are the same level as the girls. The sounds he is having trouble with , some of the children in my class do - 5 and 6 year olds. It is something that will just click one day. As mum's we always worry and I know it is easy for me to say don't but really don't worry yet! He is learning more and more each day. If you say the sounds 'properly' he will soon start to pick it up. xxx
  • Options
    Argh, BE ate my reply!!

So I'll try and remember what I said :lol:

Basically I was saying he doesn't sound behind to me. Some kids just take everything in, they understand everything around them, but don't talk til a little later.

Do you always repeat his words back to him and build on them? It sounds a bit daft but when he says eet for feet, you could say, yes Harri they're your FEET. Your tickly FEET! and give them a little tickle (if he likes that!) Just to re-enforce the word to him. He'll soon learn the right way to say it if you keep repeating things.

But try not to worry too much. I know a lot of kids who didn't speak much at Harri's age and they're fine now.

Hope someone with some experience can help you a bit more. xxx
  • Options
    Thanks girls, we always repeat the words in te correct way. This morning i was doing my hair ready for work and he was sat beside my looking at his book "the tiger that came to tea" and he was pointing at the pictures and saying "shower" at the bathroom pic and "inner" when theyre sat at the dinner table eating which i was really suprised with as hes never done that before and they are quite detailed illustrations
  • Options
    I agree with the other girls, tbh I think your child minder is worrying you about nothing. Reading that list, it's way more than Millie said at that age and now at 3 1/2 she has easily caught up. As long as he's making the effort to speak and his understanding is ok then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
    xx
  • Options
    Do you think he is being crafty and not speaking at the childminders half as much as at home. I might make a list of thing he says at home regularly and give it to my c/m so she can tell me if he says them at hers.....what do you think? x
  • Options
    Hi hun

I really wouldn't worry too much, he is probably taking it all in and it will click into place all at once.

Please don't thing I'm bragging about my lo, I just wanted to give an example of his speaking ability.

My lo has always been really good with his speech, but only because he spent most of his time with adults, and seemed to pick things up really quickly. He will be 3 in March and I can more or less have a conversation with him (though not all words are letter perfect). He has just recently started nursery and I have noticed that some of the kids don't seem to have as good a vocabulary as my lo. We even have proper arguments some days, lol. Even HV said today how brilliant his vocabulary is and his ability to put sentences together. And he often speaks to my mum and dad on the phone., he can be on there a good 15 minutes some days, lol.

But although he is great with speech he isn't as forward with other things, he can't count or tell colours apart, things which the kids at his nursery can do. He can say the numbers 1 to 10, but if give him 3 crayons he wont be able to say how many are there, or what colours they are. He isn't really confident with feeding himself with a knife/fork/spoon.

So for everything they're brilliant at, there is something they aren't hun. I bet Harrison has other things that he is forward with, and I don't think this is anything to worry about. He communicates with you, that's the main thing, he is learning new words and is using them, and understanding what you say. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk to your c/m.

Sam
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hi there. I'm a paediatric speech and language therapist so let me put you mind at ease. His speech sounds are entirely normal for his age. At the very earliest, we might assess a child's speech sounds at 3 years if the child is completely unintelligible to even mum and dad. We won't work with most speech substitutions until around 4 years of age simply because before that it is so normal for kids to substitute sounds.

In terms of language, we would expect a child to start joining words together into 2 word phrases at around 2 years of age give or take 3 or 4 months. If your little boy isn't joining any words at 2.5 years, it might be worth getting a bit more advice from a speech and language therapist. Look up www.talkingpoint.org for advice in the meantime. X
  • Options
    Thanks ladies this has put my mind at rest. Thanks for the insight sam, Harrison sounds like a very clever little man and you should be v proud of him image I guess he will just get there in his own time and we will just keep encouraging him in the mean time. We are trying to enforce the sound by saying ccccc cat or mmmmm mummy (he struggles with mummy for some reason) great minds must think alike amyabimum lol. thanks for your expertees campbelly its much appreciated!! xxx
  • Options
    Jason's not quite there with his speech yet but he's not 2 till april. he can identify colours, mainly red, blue, yellow but if he thinks about it he can do purple, black & orange although he hasnt actually said any colours he just knows what they are!!! starting to do numbers, does 5 if you hold your fingers up, n counts, well his countin atm is 2 4 5!! lol. a few word tho he says twice eg car - car car bus - bus bus! not sure why! he's come out with a few words together, my bear bear (his comfort toy) milky bar thankyou (his way of asking for a treat) i've got fishy! (bath toy) my friends lil boy is nearly 2 n a half n they about the same on speech levels which just shows they develop at different rates.
    as 4 the mummy... it's only been since my ex left thats hes actually said it! it used to be just mum mum
  • Options
    Hi hun, just also wanted to add that although my little man has good speech, he does also have a bit of a stammer, which seems to be hindering him a fair bit and like your lo doesn't always get the letters correct, he says foon instead of spoon and funge instead of sponge (he seems unable to SP when attached to a word, lol), so if your lo is saying all what you said then he is doing brilliant for his age, he has only just turned two and when my lo had his 2 year check up they said he should understand a lot more than he can say anyway.

And like the other ladies have said, they develop at different rates. I find that we compare to other kids (I am one of the worst for that actually) and what they can do. Hayley's lo can identify colours and numbers and he isn't even 2 yet, but my lo who is 3 in March can't do that.

Sorry to rant, it just annoys me when people pass comment on a childs development at such a young age, when every child is still developing and all aty different rates.

xxxx
  • Options
    Hi there, I have a boy who turned 2 a couple of weeks ago, and he only says a few words more than your lo does. He understand loads though, and follows directions well. Recent additions to his vocabulary are 'house', 'nose' 'hoop' and 'choo choo'!

I am grateful to you for posting as I have taken the replies on board too. I will see how he is getting on at 2.5 years, campbelly, and thanks very much for your reply to sunnymum22!
  • Options
    I agree there rhian2 he understands almost everything we say eg. get your shoes/coat/hat. shut the door, put it in the bin for me, get your wipes or nappy for me, let put the toys away......ect ect. thanks for putting my mind at rest girls image x
  • Options
    mine is two and a half and suddenly seemed to be able to say loads of words and form sentences after about 2 yrs 4 mo nths. one day he wokeup and felt confident enough to do it. i do think confidence has a lot to do with t, so just keep encouraging, practicing but making everything fun and he will get there. and ben cannot say some letters, they are only little though so just enjoy it all. sounds normal to me!! xx
  • Options
    Glad everyone has managed to reassure you hun. I think you'll probably find he has a word explosion over a short period of time - are you and oh due any time off work soon where you might be spending more time with him? I'm just wondering because Cole has had the word explosion thing over christmas when we had extra time off with him and I think that helped. He went from before christmas saying green and purple and occasionally red to in the new year knowing all his colours (although he seems to have forgotten orange and orange is now 'that' again lol).

Course he's not clear with a lot of words yet and I think that people who don't spend a lot of time with him wouldn't follow a lot of what he said which I think is normal.

my friends lo has been having extra hv checks (lucky her) cause her daughter has been a bit behind with some things due to being ill when younger and she told me that they'd told her that by the time a lo is 2 they should be saying 20 words.

• Options
    I can give you a childminder's point of view.
    I look after a little boy of 18 months who doesn't seem to know many words yet. I spoke to his mum about it and she assures me that he says a few words at home that he never says while at mine. I've been trying to encourage him to say them and he is starting to talk more while with me but I think it's quite normal for him to be less chatty than at home because he is competing with the other kids. I also think he's quieter because he's listening more, taking in everything the other kids are saying.
    A couple of my friends have also commented that their kids don't talk as much at toddler group as they do at home which again i think is down to them absorbing what other kids are doing, ready to repeat it when they're back home with mummy. Hope that makes sense.
    From a mummy's point of view, my son has just turned 2 and for ages has been calling pennies, 'memmies'. Suddenly in the last week he's starting calling them 'pemmies' - so we're getting closer!
  • Options
    he sounds fine to me, i dont think that the worry at al about childrens speach not being clear until they are at laest 3. he says a reasonable amount of words and as long as his understandning is good then im sure he is fine.
    i know lots of little boys that have said very few words at just turned 2 and by 2.5 are talking in sentances. xxx
  • Options
    Agree with all the above! Dude struggles with "f" sounds, fish are nish, finished is ninished etc and mummy, well I'm more commonly known as manny, which is an improvement on nandad which is what i was for ages!! Like Cole he had a speech explosion over christmas with both of us at home with him.

We spend the first year encouraging them to stand up and walk, the next year encouraging them to talk, then 16 years telling them to sit down and be quiet! He will suddenly go for it and come out with words that you have no idea where he's got them from (and i'm not thinking naughty words!)