Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cough!

Oh no... Max has a really horrible cough :cry:
He coughs for ages and then gags and sounds like he's going to be sick

I want to give him some honey, he's 14 months old now so will it be OK? xxxx

Replies

• Options
    yes that will be absoloutly fine. I took shayla 2 the drs and they told me to put a bit of honey in her milk before bed as it helps ease the sore throat. Also, i put a bowl of hot water by the radiator as this adds moiture to the air this also helps. I also recommend those Karvol capsules if he has a cold too- these really help Shayla to sleep when she has a cough an cold.

There isnt really much u can give them at this age unfortunatly as they advise against cough medicines now until they r at least 2 so i used honey and it seemed to help a bit

hope this helps and little Max gets better soon its horrible when they are poorly. Take care xx

Hannah
  • Options
    Cole is just 1 and we've given him the tixylix that currently says on the pack from age 1-10. Had a long chat with the pharmacist about it when i went to get it and she said 'oh its just for over 2's now' and I guess she figured we were sensible cause she said 'well you can always buy it anyway despite me telling you its for over 2's' so we did cause he desperately needed something.

She said it was fine to give him that and calpol or nurofen but not to give anything else.

We also have these homeopathic tablets for coughs and cattargh (sp?) and they seem to work well too - i can tell they work cause on the days he's in nursery he doesn't always have them cause nursery can't give them to him so he gets more snotty then!

Hope he gets well soon
  • Options
    Just a quick one that hasn't been mentioned and that's propping his mattress up at night. It really helped my lo at night. All we did was put a pillow under the top end of his mattress which meant that he slept slightly propped up and he didn't cough half as much at night.
  • Options
    I agree with Nessellis. Thats what I done when Kara had a cough and it definately worked. Also when Kara was in hospital a couple of months ago they wouldn't give her a cough bottle because they said there is no proof that they work and we had to let it run its course.
  • Options
    my lo got a dreadful cough at the moment. my oh said his gran used to give him a small ball of butter rolled in sugar (think the sugar just to make it taste better). i told him not to be so silly and he wasnt giving her that. in the end he said there was no harm in trying and i have to admit it did seem to work. think it muct help to lubricate the throat. apart from that we use karvol and prop her up as much as poss.xx
  • Options
    Oh no hope he's better soon, honey in warm milk- what a good idea, I used to love that through pregnancy too LOL. We also use a pillow and if he's snotty, toddler olbas oil on his pillow works well for us too.
  • Options
    I found a damp towel with a few drops of olbus oil on the radiator works a treat !