Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

too much smoothie?!

basically i thoguht id try brooke (18 months) on the kids innocnet smoothie since it was on offer in tesco! lol and she seems to of gone of her fruit and veg. anyway its 100% fuit and she loves it. have been giving her one cup a day with her breakfast then just normal juice wich will last her all day, the smoothie is gone in one she dont put it down till gone.

she has had 3 cups so far today keeps going to the fridge for it.. i dont see the harm since its 100% fruit (just expensive) do you think there is such thing as too much smoothie? or any harm in her having it all the time instead of juice? obv not if we are out coz wont let it hang around not in fridge but at home..

if so i might give it ago making up a batch myself... any opinions greatly appreciated!
xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi
    The only problem could be that fruit juice has high acid levels which can harm teeth.I only say this because we got told of by my sons dentist as he was having lots of apple juice in cartons which I thought was good for him but DENIST SAID NO!!!
    Its terrible for teeth!!!.Also with fruit juice its high in sugar even if it is "natural" crazy isn't it .I was mortified as my son had to have a filling and he has a super healthy diet!!

I think I will try Eve on it now as just one cup a day with brekkie couldn't do any harm could it!!??

• Options
    Hi, I also think you would only need to be careful with the acidity levels and natural sugars that are found in the smoothies/juice..but i wouldn't know how much is in the smoothies. I would probably try and stick with one cup a day to be sure and try and get her back on the fresh fruit and veg. Good idea to try and make your own..I often blend yoghurt & fruit (mangoes yummy) & it's always a popular dessert.x
  • Options
    Hmmm maybe. it says no sugar etc but i know from slimmingworld that fruit once broken down etc and natural sugar released isnt any good! and only in its natural form its any good. she will eat a bit of fruit and veg but not loads. the fresh fruit and yogut sounds lovely! can you freeze it missy moo?
  • Options
    i will go back to her having it one cup a day at brekkie. it has portion sizes down the side of the carton and her cup hold just over one portion. xx they are good.
  • Options
    What everyone said about her teeth but also if it's to replace her fruit n veg she's refusing I am pretty sure if you read some juice bottles they say it doesn't matter what you have only 1 glass counts as your 1 a day.
  • Options
    Hi upsy_daisy+bump, I do freeze them in little pots and they seem to freeze really well. In the summer I would give them to him like a sorbet but now just let them defrost completely so its more like a smoothie. I think the only thing that might not freeze well is bannana. x
  • Options
    I give my lo the innocent smoothies but I water them down. He has about half of one of those individual cartons in a 'long' beaker then filled with water. It makes it last longer and dilutes the sugars. The advice I was given by my HV for healthy teeth was 'juice' with meals as the saliva created by the food neutralises the acid in the juice and water at all other times. I tend to allow him one beaker a day unless he seems off his food a bit and then he can have more to up his vitamins a bit.
  • Options
    I give my lo the innocent smoothies but I water them down. He has about half of one of those individual cartons in a 'long' beaker then filled with water. It makes it last longer and dilutes the sugars. The advice I was given by my HV for healthy teeth was 'juice' with meals as the saliva created by the food neutralises the acid in the juice and water at all other times. I tend to allow him one beaker a day unless he seems off his food a bit and then he can have more to up his vitamins a bit.