Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What would you do?

Well my ds started pre school this time but as he was born on the 31st August only just made in into this year, so is a year younger than the majority of the class.
Well anyway he seemed to be enjoying it until this week. I have had to fill in 5 different accident forms as he has been hit (causing a large bruise) scratched (down his face and arms) has an hand print bruised into his arm (a very small hand print so obviously from a child) and today has a bruise on his back from where he was pushed over.
His teacher is very appologetic and says it just because they have alot of boisterous boys this year! I mean i expect things like this to happen when young boys get together but not to this scale and i am pretty sure that its the same boy doing it.
I have asked which children it is but for obvious reasons they arent allowed to tell me, but theres a mum there who was boasting in the play groud the other day that she has had to fill forms in every day because her by has been hitting other kids (like its something to be proud of!!) I was so mad i asked her if it was her boy that had hurt my son and showed her the marks. she did get him to appologise but only cause i had brought it up. I dont know what to do about the situation, i do not want to make my son change schools as he has made some great friends there! What would you do?? x

Replies

• Options
    Its hard isn't it. From a practical perspective, do they have a facility where mums/carers can volunteer to help out at the pre school with the children? That might allow you to keep an eye on things until it all settles down (and I'm sure it will). Good luck x
  • Options
    Unfortunately they dont have a volunteer service in the actual school just the craches up stairs. I am not worried about the supervision, as a good friend of mine works at the school and often works in my sons class so i know they are being looked after properly, unfortunately it only takes a second for something like this to happen.
    I might just speak to his teacher and explain that i am not happy about the situation and want something to be done and if it does not change then i will remove him.
    x x
  • Options
    im thinking the same you should definatly have a word. funnily enough my little brother has just started school and he had a couple of days where he was being kicked by a paticular boy. when another child tryed to stick up for my brother he told the girl to 'f**k off you b***h, which was overheard by the adult supervising. however my mum managed to find out who the child was through her friends daughter (in the same class). my mum wasnt happy so she spoke to the deputy head who arranged for riley and the boy concerend to be watched at playtime. i also believe that he spoke to the parent of the boy involved and asked them to speak to him about it etc.

i understand children are going to get bruises through rough and tumble etc but when its persistent from the same child its a problem. believe it or not you can get some quite violent and nasty 4 yr olds. (with disgusting language) best to nip it in the bud.

oh and put it this way if i was told my child had been hitting a child purposefully or using the language above i would be horrified. you can sort of understand why that child thinks its ok to do that when his mum is boasting about it cant you? disgusting.

best of luck anyhow x
  • Options
    I've had a similar problem with my son too. He's a lovely little 6 year old and because he's so laid back and just wants to keep the peace he comes home everyday saying someones hit him or been horrible to him. So now i've sent him to karate not to actually use it on anyone but its built up his confidence to stick up for himself!
    And the mum in the playground would be the first to complain if it was her child being hit!!!