Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does anyone else get really wound up when....

...your lo refuses to eat even when you know damn well they like the food on offer???

I don't know if it is just a 'mummy' thing but I can't help getting really stressed and worked up when he won't eat.
Before Kade was weaned my friend told me to take a deep breath, count to 10 and show lo no reaction when he refused to eat but I just can't!!!
Today for eg, he had risotto for lunch which I know he likes but he just would not open his mouth. I tried every technique under the sun but nothing worked. I actually ended up in tears I got so stressed about it imageops:

Oh really couldn't understand what was wrong with me but I don't really know myself why I get so worked up about it!!!
When he eats all his food, I am so happy! Am I just weird? :lol:

Replies

• Options
    Yep me too, sometimes I feel like jumping up and down and screaming! I have to really struggle with myself not to react but I know that if I do am going to make things worse but its even more infuriating when either you know they like it or like Neve - she likes shop bought bolognaise but not homemade!!!!

If you are wierd then so am I!
  • Options
    No you are not wierd. Its infuriating and of course not only that but your child needs to eat to be healthy.
    However, at the end of the day no child will starve himself and the more annoyed you get the more he will play up to get a reaction. How old is he? My son is 3 and a half and still plays up!! It does my husband's head in, its impossible not to get wound up no matter what you tell yourself!.
    My son also likes to be fed like a baby but thats an attention thing because the 1 year old gets more attention when we feed him.
    There are 2 solutions really - ignore it and let him go hungry. Leave it on the side and if he wants it 5 minutes later it will still be there. ( my hubby gets so annoyed he bins it and then of course child is hungry and there is nothing there!)
    OR let him have something else to fill him up - like a jam sandwich and try not to make a big issue out of it.
    Another reason why my son doesn't eat apart attention seeking/playing up is because by tea-time he is normally absolutely exhausted and he and just too tired to feed himself.
    Does he have a snack in the morning? can you try cutting it out?
    My 2 sons are starving by mid morning but now instead of giving them snacks and then lunch i give them lunch at 11.30 because i know they'll eat it!!
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean hun... Eoin will happily scoff all the meals I make him, then all of a sudden he is spitting it out or refusing it!! It does make me upset and will play on my mind all day until he's eaten properly. At the moment I have to have a variety of objects nearby to distract him so I can just pop the food in... when he's fiddling with a toy he dosnt tend to realise he's meant to be 'spitting it out' and just gobbles it down. I am starting to get him to feed himself recently and he shows more interest in the food now xxx