Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Squinting?

Has anybody elses lo got or developed a squint? Isaac has just developed one, I was looking for about a week wondering if I was imagining it but took him to the dr today and he said it is definitely there. He is referring him to the hospital. I am trying to reason with myself that it is common and probably nothing but panic sets in and I know I am being irrational but hubby has a brain tumour which they say developed in early childhood and I am panicking that this might be the same. I am feeling really crap about it as well becuase Isaacs eyes are so big and blue and everybody always comments on how beautiful they are :cry:

Replies

• Options
    Hi Hayley
    I have no experience of squints as such - but someone said that Eve looked a bit crossed eyed when she was a baby.I didn't think so but she had a check up and everything was fine.
    Hopefully if he does have any sorts of problems it can just be sorted with glasses or something??

I can fully understand you worrying about the worst because I know that I would too!!!.
    But I am sure that its just something straight forward that can be sorted out.
    Please let us know how he gets on - will be thinking of you XXXXXX
  • Options
    Oh hayley I have no idea about a connection of squints with tumours but my zachariah has visual problems and we go to the hospital for check ups, you are probably just seeing an opthomologist who will check all is ok and it's important to do quickly as they say childrens eyes main development is until 2 so it's always better to be treated early. Good luck and please if you are really worried see if you can talk your concerns through with the dr, thinking of you and please let us know how you get on x
  • Options
    I have a bad squint and was extra paranoid about Cole. He does seem to have a latent squint and is in the middle of hospital appts to see how bad his eye sight is.

Will try and remember to post more later (Very tired now) but just wanted to say best to get it checked out now rather than leave it - my parents tried to get me looked at but the docs ignored it until it was too late and I didn't get patches until i was 5 and by then it was too late - I have a lazy eye.

Please try not to worry too much until you've seen the eye doc (not even going to try and spell teh opth...wotsit word at this time of night) - i know its easier said than done, but if you are at all worried about the linkb etween eyesight and brain tumour be sure to ask them. It might help if you took a list of questions - I'm doing that for cole's next appt as I forgot to ask anything!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies. I am feeling more positive about things now, there are worse things he could have than a squint. Apparantly my sister and brother both had a squint when they were younger and needed an operation to cut the muscle, also i read that if there is a family history of them then your child is 6 times more likely to have one. I have decided I am not going to worry untill we have seen the opthamologist. Thanks again x
  • Options
    I had that op - 3 times before i was 18 months old and i don't remember any of it. I had 2 on my bad eye and 1 on my good eye - but it didn't work too well for me as my eye turned the other way when i got older!

I quizzed the optician about squints and she siad that they occur in 3% of the population and it can be an inherited condition.

Glad you are feeling more positive - I can honestly say that having a squint/lazy eye hasn't caused me too much hassle - I can't catch a ball but then I hated sport at school so never tried, I can't see those magic eye 3d things or the 3d movies you need coloured lenses for, and I had to figure out my own way to reverse park but it hasn't really hindered me in life

Hope its good news though
  • Options
    Thanks kia, I have noticed it more now, I dont know if its becuase I know its there or whether it is getting worse, the dr did tell me that squints can occur from the age of 18 months so its likely that it has just started to develop. I'm hoping the appointment comes through soon, the G.P. said it would be fairly quick as they like to check these things out, plus I am an impatient person and I like to sort things out.

As for the not being able to catch a ball, Isaac has a condition called hypermoblity and hyperextensive joints so its likely that he wont be that good at sport anyway, he will obvioulsy be really brainy, get a good job and keep his mummy in the luxury to which I could become accustomed.

Will let you know when the appointment comes through. x