Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When to use duvets and bed rather than cot

Hi Ladies
Matthew is only 10months but i'm just wondering when you started using a duvet (instead of sleeping bag) and a bed rather than cot? Any advice and experiences gratefully received. Thank you! :\)

Replies

• Options
    Hi I actually dont know about the bed as my eldest 2 are 16 & 11 and my youngest is only 6months, i think with my eldest 2 they were about 18months (might have been before cant remember) as they were able to climb out, so would say keep lo in a cot til just before they can climb out. Duvet and cot bumpers are for age 1 yr plus i think
  • Options
    Hiya,

My little boy is 22 months and went in to a bed about a month ago, mainly because he suddenly stopped sleeping in his cot! We tried him in the bed and he slept again, had to buy 2 guards to stop him from falling out though! I think you tend yo know when they're ready as they get restless in the cot or try to climb out.

Re: the sleeping bag/duvet, he had a small cot duvet and pillow from about 16 months and has a normal duvet and pillow now but we still put him in pjs and a warm fleecy sleep suit all-in-one thing as he tends to come out of the duvet a lot and wake if he's cold!
  • Options
    Hi,
    I stopped using the sleeping bags around 7 months and used light blankets (this was last summer!), not I use a cot duvet for my 16 month old.
    For beds I have been told it is up to the child, but basically anything from 18/20months onwards. If your lo is starting to mess about in bed and not enjoying sleeping, then maybe it's time to change?
    I must admit, my lo is starting to wake frequently at night and I am already debating to try her with a bed!
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanks for your tips and experiences. I'll prob think about duvets when he's 18m (it'll be summer then) and the bed when he seems ready.
    Juliette :/)