Forum home› Toddlers & older children› Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what age do u normally change cot to a bed?

just genrally what age is it around? xxx

Replies

• Options
    Amy moved into her bed about 3 weeks ago and loves it - she was 15 months. I think you just get a feel for when they need to move. My MIL keeps saying its far too early as none of hers were in beds till 2 years old. I see no harm and she looks so cute!!

Besides her cot was tiny as her room is small and she kept banging her arms in the night!
  • Options
    We changed lo's cotbed to a bed (taking sides off) when she was around 18 months.
  • Options
    Cole was 16 months when we turned the cotbed into a bed and he loved it. We've just taken the bedguard off last week and he's nearly 22 months now.

I agree with lara - I don't think there is a right age - if you think its the right time then you can always try it

• Options
    we changed from a cot to a bed at 18 months, and he was fine. now when i tell him its bed time he runs and jumps in bed and snuggles down. he very much prefers it. i do put a stairgate on his door though as the thought of him wandering around in the bathroom etc at night when we are asleep scares me, as he tends to wake up have a drink from his cup then go back to sleep without waking us. i am sure if the gate wasnt there he would also probably have a wander around!
  • Options
    Zach was 22 months and loved his bed which is the shape of a car and we had no probs keeping him in it. He went from a sleeping bag to a duvet and pillow which he took to very well. x
  • Options
    I moved Kara to a double bed when she was 15 months and it was the best thing that I ever done. She sleeps far better in her bed than she ever did in her cot. Glad I have her in a double bed as she is such as wriggler and is in every direction through the night.
  • Options
    thanks millie is 13months and she is in a cotbed and loves it so i think she may be more the age of 2 before i change it unless she starts trying to climb out or anything she is a good climber now but hasnt attempted getting out of her cot so i guess she likes it! another question when they go into the bed do u use a pillow and duvet? or still the grow bag? or does that depend on the age again? xxx
  • Options
    The answer: no set age, its just when you think the time is right.

My lo is 17 months and is quite settle in her cot bed. She has a big room which we still ahvent sorted the final arrangement of furniture. Although her room is safe, I know that if she was in a bed she would get out and either play or empty her drawers. She easily falls asleep in our bed with the duvet, but i think I will wait to at least after Christmas or when she is 2. She shows no sign of climbing out of her cotbed. Saying that, if she was in a cot it would probably be a different matter. At my mums she has a cot and she seems very crammed as theirs not much space to move around. Im so used to the cotbed that i forget how much bigger they are thana cot!

My husband and I have been thinking about giving her a duvet. Im not to sure at the mo as to whether i am happy that she will keep her head above ther covers.
  • Options
    Joshua was 18months and Libby was 14 months but only because they climbed out and I was more worried they'd hurt themselves climbing over the bars than falling out the edge of the bed. ( i did use bed guards for a while tho til they got used to it!)
  • Options
    As others have said I think it is just when you feel the time is right. My lo is 21 months and is perfectly happy in her cotbed with the bars on still so we have no intention of moving her out of it yet. We have already changed from a sleeping bag to duvet and she sleeps fine. I think that we might think about moving her to a bed when she is about 2, but we will just see how she goes.

Just as an aside, I think moving them into a bed is a great opportunity to get rid of the dummy too. Big girl = big bed = no dummy. I am hoping that will work anyway!!
  • Options
    we waited till we were confident that he'd be able to get in and out of the bed properly himself. Although he still hadquite a lot of room in the cotbed he went through a phase at about 20 monthsish of spending about an hour kicking the bars instead of going to sleep, so we decided to turn it into the bed and he was fine in that
  • Options
    becci boo - that's the main reason why we took our lo's sides off. The kicking drove me crackers!!