Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

She walked up the stairs

Well Kara walked the stairs today. Our stair gate at the bottom was loose so my husband took it off yesterday to sort it out. We then decided maybe we will not bother putting it back up as she ever really goes near the stairs and doesn't seem interested. She is actually afraid when you are walking down then with her in your arms. Well I was mistaken. I went upstairs today and Ray was in the kitchen. He called to me to come to the top of the stairs and look. Kara was on the second stair looking up at me and laughing. I nearly died but to be honest I found it funny but couldn't show her that. Anyway my husband told her to go on up just to see what she would do. She went right up to the top to me and thought she was great. Needless to say the stair gate went straight on again as she tried it 3 times after that again. I need eyes on the back of my head. She is 22 months. Even now with the stair gate on she is still trying to get up now and she knows she can. The stair gate starts on the second stair as thats where the banister starts so she still has the bottom 1 to climb. Need to keep a closer eye now.

Replies

• Options
    hi Louise, Shea is a bugger at doing this if he gets the chance! He's 22months too at the end of this month. Our stair gate is on the living room door which leads out into hallway with staircase, and he will tell US off if we leave the gate open and he can shut it properly himself but occasionally he won't shut it and decides to climb the stairs!! Which I must say he's very good at but it scares me to death when he does it, but his face is so cheeky with it, I try not to laugh!! We have terracotta tiles at the bottom of the stairs and if he fell on them I dread to think.......

He's also getting very brave with going down, after his bath everynight he holds my hands and he walks down with me behing him, but he can now open the bathroom door himself and he races to the top of the stairs with me racing after him as he always looks like he's just step off and try and go down on his own!! Cheeky monkey!!
  • Options
    Bless her Louise! I bet she looked so cute and proud of herself!!
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Louise

My lo was 8 months when he climbed the stairs crawling and has been walking up and down them without any trouble since he was about 15 months (he's now 27 months), he used to hold my hand at first but he got so mad with me he ended up making me walk in front. He's really good at it and knows he has to go slowly and not mess about. Usually either me or his dad are with him but we just walk in front of him, he doesn't need us to hold his hand. When he goes for his afternoon nap he always brings himself back down when he has woken up.

We used to have a gate at the bottom, and one at the top, but we took the one off the bottom of the stairs about 7 months ago now.

I just figured, he's going to have to learn at some point and I would rather he knows how to get down them safely, at least then there is less chance of him falling down if he tries getting up or down and doesn't know how to, or doesn't have the confidence. I feel far safer knowing he is fully capable of getting himself up and down the stairs.

I would probably let Kara go up and down the stairs with you, when you go up or down, walking behind/in front of her so that she gets the practice, but you know she is safe as you are with her.

It is a bit achievement for them as well and I think it makes Harrison feel a bit more grown up and independant.

Sammi
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks girls for the advice. I think I will show Kara how to get up and down them safely now. She seems really interested in the stairs now since she done it once on her own. At least then as you said she will have more confidence and feel really grown up.