Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Two questions

Two quickish questions.

1) When did you stop offering morning milk, or do you still offer it? Peter has been having a cup of milk in the morning and the evening since I stopped breastfeeding at 13 months. This morning I didn't give him his cup of milk (a combination of forgetfulness in the first instance and then laziness when I did remember) and he didn't seem phased by it at all. I do like knowing that he is getting at least 380 ml of milk a day, however fussy he his about the rest of his food, but I hate the schlep of getting his milk ready (he won't drink it fridge cold so I have to heat it and we don't have a microwave). Just wondering if I could drop it really, or if I should carry on and for how long. The evening milk will remain as long as he wants it.

2) How do you tackle walking on pavements? He is now walking confidently enough that I am starting to think about letting him walk for part of the time when we are out and about. It will mean holding him with one hand and steering the pram with the other and it will slow us down a great deal but I think it will be more fun for him than being stuck in the pram when I am running errands. We live in an urban(ish) space with two fairly busy A roads running through it which I have no intention of letting him anywhere near but on side streets walking to and from our house I am tempted to get him out of the pram. Is this a lousy idea until he is older? If so, what sort of age would you recommend?

Any advice on either matter much appreciated!

Replies

• Options
    Gabe didn't drink any milk from 13 months to now! He had bottles before that but faffed about with them so I decided it was a huge waste as I had to warm up the whole milk then ended up chucking most of it!

One day I just didnt give him any bottles (he was only drinking 4oz a day anyway) and he didn't even notice. I tried cups but he wasnt keen on milk from cups then. I thought it was better to take the bottles away when he didnt miss them, then persevere, and have troubles weaning him off them at 2 or 3 years old (and he still has a dummy so I only wanted 1 thing to wean him off lol!)

He occasionally has milk now before bed .... 6oz or so...sometimes he fancies it i guess.

We dont use the pushchair a great deal now and Gabe will cross the roads fine. He is very good on roads but has a habit of trying to loose my hand and make a run for it when he gets bored so on longer trips we still use the pushchair. He has never entertained reins! xxx
  • Options
    Isabelle has just turned 2 and I still offer her a cup of about 4oz of milk before bed. She loves her milk so I'll carry on doing this as long as she wants. I dropped her morning milk at around 18 months as I found she wouldn't eat her breakfast. As soon as I dropped it, she then started to eat her breakfast again.

As I have a 8 month ds, I have a double pushchair which dd will sit in on long journeys or if I need to get somewhere fast. She will walk on short journeys to the park or where ever it is safe to do so. I do put reins on her though as she won't hold my hand and has a tendency to run in the road. I take her lead when she gets tired as she just asks to get in her chair!! I can't remember exactly when she started doing this, probably about 16 months as she didn't start walking properly until 14 months. x x
  • Options
    hollie is 16months and still has 3 bottles of 9oz cows milk a day and maybe a few more oz if she wakes up during the night,

with regarding the walking, even though hollie is confident in the house, running everywhere, outside is a different matter. she wont walk were we want her to walk, she has no sence of direction and just kept running off everywhere so she is still in the pram or sling if we are out.
  • Options
    Cheers, ladies. I should have mentioned that he is almost 18 months in my original post. I think I'll keep on with the milk for now. It doesn't seem to affect his appetite for breakfast and, thinking about what he eats during the rest of the day, I'm just not that confident that he will be getting as much calcium as he will need if I drop it.

As for the walking, I seem to have been preempted! :lol: He went for a walk with his dad this afternoon and apparently helped to push the pushchair on the way home! image That was along a pedestrian path that runs along the old tram track but I think I will start walking with him down to the first busy road before putting him in his chair. I grew up in New York and it is never too early to start getting him used to the idea of traffic safety in my opinion! Thanks for reassuring me that I am not totally idiotic to be doing this at this age, though. image
  • Options
    Max only has milk in his beaker before bed and he's doing great weight wise, I've never seen him so well 'paded', he has a yoghurt everyday plus milk in his porridge and a portion of cheese either as finger food or grated into a meal.

I let him walk a lot these days. The only problem is I can't stear my buggy one handed ! I'm debating getting some reins for when were in town, he holds hands really nicely but I wouldn't feel happy doing this in the shops incase he bolted into the road or made a run for it while I got my purse or something. We walk around our culdesac everyday though, he loves it and it's good practice as it's really quiet x
  • Options
    my son is 3 now and still has a cup of milk at bedtime and mornings if he asks for it. only cows milk but we only finally got rid of the bottle a few months ago!
    maybe you could gradually make it cooler until he'll take it cold
  • Options
    My dd 23 months still has 2x5oz milks a day she loves her morning and bedtime bottle bless her.

As for the walking maybe get a wrist strap until he has learnt the danger of a busy road? Be careful though as i think i over did it as my dd was petrified of cars at one point as i was always saying "oh no cars are dangerous we must not go near them" etc etc :roll: thankfully she has gotten over the fear but does know to stay on the path image xx
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. I might try the gradually cooling trick. It is the idea of cold tiles on a winter morning that really puts me off!

MrsNM, I don't think I could frighten Peter off cars at this point! He is completely obsessed with them - a real boy! :roll: He's very good about holding my hand when out of his comfort zone, so I think we should be okay for now. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how we get on.
  • Options
    Maddie usually has a cup of milk with ehr breeakfast too (23m). She has milk and weetabix so she sees the milk being poured on and asks for a cup too - doesnt affect how much she eats at all! Although she will drink it no matter what temp so i just get it from the fridge - could you get a microwave or is that not possible? Shame he doesn't like it cold, I guess it's freezing over ther in winter and noone would want cold milk then lol! It's cold here too but the coldest it gets in the house (no heating necessary) is about 10-15 degrees Celcius, so maddie still likes cold milk lol!

Walking on the pavement.... Maddie still rarely does this as she is happy in the stroller usually and it's easier for me to push it with her in it... if she asks to get out, and we're on a busy road, i jsyt say no! Or we have a wrist strap too but I havent used that since we got back from the UK in july!
    Great news he will hold your hand, MAddie is very stubborn and I have to hold REALLY tight when crossing the roads and the second we're on teh grass she pulls away! x