Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Babys Jabs with Big sister present?

Hey girls

My ds is due his 8 weeks jabs next week... my dd is 22 months and was traumatised by her MMR jabs (she is quite a sensitive soul) and has only just recently felt comfortable at the DR's again as every time we went she thought she was going to get a jab again and would scream the place down (a nightmare when i had midwife appointments) Anyway i am not sure weather its a good idea to let her see her baby brother getting his jabs.. she adores him and i am not sure how she will react when he gets so upset?? Also i don't want her thinking omg im next iykwim?

My hubby cant have any time off work though so its a tough one i guess i would have to see if they have appointments in the evening?

Did anyone else take there toddlers along to Immunisations for there siblings? How did they react?

Thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    hi sweetie, i had to take freya along to all of lolahs jabs as obviously hubby works in the day and i had no choice to take her, however she was a little older and could understand why we were goin there. i told her that she would need to look after lolah as she was having her jabs and she may cry and get upset, she was really good with her telling her "its alrite your big sisters here to look after you" also it helped when freya had to have hers done as she wanted to be "brave" in front of her little sister.
    hope shes ok if you take her, you never know how shes goin to react until ur there do you, and it may help her seeing her brother getting his jabs, just watching from the sideline. xxx
  • Options
    Hey hun We took Lily with us the first time Mia had hers and I wouldn't recommend it tbh...Lily was very concerned for her little sister and kept saying "its OK don't panic" and then after she kept stroking Mia and saying she was very brave! Not only that but despite both Matt and I being there Lily was a pain in the bum from start to finish I think mainly cus it was 5pm so like the witching hour for her (I hate that time of day!) The second time just Matt and I went my sister was here so had Lily and it was much less stressful!I say if you can avoid taking her with you or could you ask the receptionist or someone to watch her if you do have to take her or maybe just prepare her best you can. You just don't know how they will react tho so can only do your best.x
  • Options
    If you have no choice but to take her then I would probably try and see it as a useful experience for her - after all, she's going to have to go to the doctors quite a lot in her life so the sooner she gets used to being there the better.

Hope it went/goes as well as it can, def not something I'd relish either :roll:
  • Options
    Its on Wednesday eek!

Thanks girls... PTB she is fine at the Dr's now and that's my worry.. i don't want to scare her again as she actually enjoys going now (my Dr was aware of her fears so he started giving her this snow globe thing when ever we visited which she loves) and im worried this will set us back image

xx
  • Options
    Oh sorry love, didn't read properly! Hm. I can't think of a solution except to explain the prob and ask a nurse to hold DS whilst he's jabbed and stay outside with DD. Or is it only at my surgery there are two nurses in the room?? I don't expect you'd feel comfortable giving DS to a stranger anyway. Ignore me.

Hope you work something out.
  • Options
    :lol: You make me smile image

Well the appointment is actually next Wednesday not this Wednesday like i thought so hubby is going to try and swing an early finish if he can ! xx
  • Options
    Glad you seem to have found a solution. Hope hubby can finish early.

I was going to reply and say that if you can manage to find somewhere for DD to be then I wouldn't recommend taking her in. When I took the girls for their MMR, the nurse told me to try and take someone with me when they have their next jabs (at 3 years 4 months) as she doesn't recommend taking them both in and letting one watch the other having their jabs. I plan to take someone with me and let one of them stay outside in the waiting room while I take the other one in for jabs. Then I'll swap over and take the other one in for their jabs. Hope it goes OK for all of you xx