Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

bad back, shoulder and neck?

ever since i had sam, who is now 18 months old my back 'goes' daily if i do anything, even just the dishes or put some clothes in the washing machine, and on really bad days my my left shoulder is really really sore and if i rub the back of my neck whilst my shoulder is sore, i had shooting pains in my shoulder. im just wondering if its normal after having a child? its something ive learned to live with but last night i was thinking, maybe there is something the doctor could do? ive never spoken to the doctor or anyone about it before because i thought it was normal but my body is beginning to feel like its that of a 50 year olds, and im only 20. any advice? i did have an epidural (they missed the first time, so twice) but i dont want to blame it on that, unless it has caused this? xx

Replies

• Options
    I would def go speak to your gp about this as it may get a lot worse. They may refer you to a chiropractor who can do some work on your back or a physio.
  • Options
    hi hon, its probably just a "carrying a baby" pain! I have a lot of aches in the hip and rib area on the side that I carry my little boy, but its probably worth getting it checked out if it continues.
    I actually went to docs yesterday as i keep getting pins and needles and numbness in my arms and hands, and I thought it could be trapped nerve but they're actually testing my thyroid!! WOuld never have thought of that in a million years!
  • Options
    I'm a registered osteopath and I see this weekly in my new Mum patients. Not knowing your full background this is going to be very general advice. The first thing to say is that you don't have to put up with this... it is something that should be easily rectified. Find a local osteopath / chiropractor / physio.... ask friends and relatives for reccomendations but ALWAYS make sure the person you see is fully registered and insured. It is more than likely that your pain is due to the tremendous physical stress on your upper back from holding baby whilst breast feeding, carrying and scooping up out of the cot. There is also some hormonal effects after birth which contribute to muscular problems. Try using heat on your neck / shoulder (something like a wheat bag or warm hot water bottle) at the end of the day. I'm more than happy to answer any questions but, as I say, I can only give general advice as I haven't carried out a full examination. Hope this is of some help.
  • Options
    thanks for your replies :\) i tried to make a doctors appointment today but they didnt have any available until the 18th of may :x so i hope i get a cancellation or something. my backs not been too bad today but im beginning to think its just one of 'those things'. my mum had a bad back after having my sister and pysiotherapy (sp?) helped so i hope i can give that a go xx