Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

shutting bedroom door

Do you completely shut your lo's bedroom door or leave it ajar?

The past 2 nights I've shut Charlotte's as I've got sick of her getting out of bed, going to the top of the stairs and rattling the stair-gates to death!

OH has been on at me for ages to shut her door and to forget about her (you know what I mean)!
We don't have the baby monitor on any more but can still hear her moving around upstairs.

Last night I opened her door once she'd gone to sleep so once we're in bed we can hear her during the night.

Once again I'm feeling a bit like a cruel mummy for shutting her out (so to speak). Trouble is with her door ajar I know she can hear us and see the lights that's why she's rattling at the stair gates. I'm hoping with less noise & light she'll go to sleep quicker.

Replies

• Options
    I leave my lo's door open, although not really surre why! He's 15 months and still in a cot though, so I don't have to worry about him wandering about upstairs if I leave it open. Whenever he has a cold though, I use a plug-in vaporiser, and always shut the door then so it works better - and he's absolutley fine! So I'm not really sure why I always leave it ajar. We still use the monitor too. We've recently (last couple of weeks!) started turningthe landing light off overnight - I told myself it was for my benefit, so it was light enough to check on him during the night without disturbing him, but I think the light was starting to disturb him.

Soryr for waffling - think i'll probably start shutting the door when he goes into a bed, partly to encourage him to stay in room - and I think you're right, they probably do settle better without the noise and light!

I don't think you're being cruel at all - she's just growing up
  • Options
    Once Charlotte is asleep I can put washing away in her room and allsorts. I also move her if she's got into a funny position (big wriggler).

It's not that I feel uncomfortable shutting her door I don't want her to think I'm being mean mummy. Then again she hasn't cried so it can't be affecting her too much can it?

And just to let you know every time I've typed shut I've typed shit first!! lol! x
  • Options
    Of course she won't think you're mean!
  • Options
    I've always shut (just typed shit too lol!) the kiddies doors. DS is now 4 and asks for it to be open a bit but I still shut (did it again!!) it when we go to bed.
    Don't feel mean!
    xx
  • Options
    I've always shut cole's door to keep the cat out! I don't for his daytime naps but thats partly so i hear him when he wakes (we do have a baby gate on his door too) as I dont bother using the monitor in the daytime, but always at nights.

Its not cruel imo - he's fine iwth it cause its what he's used to and it means we dont disturb him when we come upstairs and stuff

• Options
    my boys won't let me shut the bedroom door, and i have to leave the hall light on too but they get terrified if i close the door or turn the light off.
    i don't know how to get them out of this habit, i've told them there's no reason to be scared etc.
    tbh i don't see the need to have their door shut as they sleep really well anyway but having to leave the light on is a bit of a pain x x
  • Options
    my boys won't let me shut the bedroom door, and i have to leave the hall light on too but they get terrified if i close the door or turn the light off.
    i don't know how to get them out of this habit, i've told them there's no reason to be scared etc.
    tbh i don't see the need to have their door shut as they sleep really well anyway but having to leave the light on is a bit of a pain x x
  • Options
    I have always closed lo's door tight, so since he has been in his own room (at 4 months). I do it so that the noise we make in the rest of the house doesn't disturb his sleep, and also so that it stays nice and dark in there for him to rest. i hadn't thought twice about it tbh. I don't think its at all cruel or mean - I do it so that lo gets better rest imo. x
  • Options
    I have always shut the bedroom door - just gets them into good habits of bedtime means go to sleep I suppose, and like Kia, also stops the cat getting in lol.

You're not being mean mummy at all lol!

• Options
    We have always shut Max's door - never thought about it before But I am sure she doesn't think you're mean!
  • Options
    Libby's door has always been shut when she goes to bed and i dont feel mean but just recently she's asked to keep it open, Joshua whos 6 however has to sleep with the light on and his door wide open!!
  • Options
    I have never really thought about this before, we have always shut Isabelle's bedroom door to keep out any noise or light and make sure she goes to sleep and stays asleep. I have always shut my own door when going to sleep too, can't imagine sleeping with it open to be honest.
    By shutting her door you are not shutting her out and being a cruel Mummy, I think you are actually doing the opposite and being a caring, thoughtful mummy who is giving her child the peace and rest that she needs to recharge for the next day.

xx