Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my 2 yr old son

i wanted 2 know when do kids start talking coz i have a 2 yr old who doesnt actually say much in english, just talks in his baby talk. i had the same problem with me eldest who is 3 now. he goes to nursery. he doesnt talk properly yet but with him i know hes getting there . anyone who can help please reply thanks xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Have you spoken to your health visitor or GP about your concerns?

My little girl has just turned 2 & is talking in sentences. I remember at her 18 month assessment the health visitor said she expected her to be stringing 2 or 3 words together by the time she was 2.

I know all children develop at different rates & children who are brought up in a bi-lingual household are sometimes slower at speech development than ones brought up in a single language spoken home.

Also does you lo use a dummy regularly through the day coz that can slow speech development as well. I'm sure you've probably been through all these things yourself though.

Hilary x
  • Options
    hiya

is your 3 year old receiving help for his delayed speech? do you talk/ask questions to your 2 year old? give her options... so do you want orange juice or blackcurrant juice? rather than do you want juice? anything really that will get them to answer with words rather than just yes & no.

I would say if she has a dummy start to wean her off it in the day.

I would say if your 2 & 3 year old don't have any input from salt (speech & language therepy) than get your HV or GP to do you a referal, there tends to be a waiting list but you'll get seen eventually. xxx

• Options
    My girls were much more advanced speaking-wise at nearly 3 than my son is at the same age. He'll be 3 end of November. The general consensus, I have found to be, is unless there is a very obvious problem, is that as long you can understand him and he can communicate reasonably well in his own way by the time he is 3 then he is developing slowly but well. If, by the time he is 4 no-one else can understand him, then his speech developement has been delayed further and definately needs investigating.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice xxxx
  • Options
    you say your lo does not say much in english do you speak 2 different languages to him if so this could be the delay
  • Options
    Hi there. I work as a paediatric speech and language therapist. If you have any concerns then please do not wait for a g.p or health visitor to refer to speech and language therapy. All SLT department have an OPEN REFERRAL SYSTEM. This means that you can call your local department directly and refer your own child. Not nearly enough people are aware of this fact so tell all your friends and even your enemies!!!!

Also, please don't wait until your child is 3 before referring as someone else had indicated. SLT waiting times can be long, so you're best to have your child seen as soon as possible. If there's nothing wrong then at least your mind will be put at rest. Therapy can take many forms such as advice and homework, parent groups, child therapy groups, and one to one therapy. It may be that a consultation is all that's required. If you have any questions then please ask.