Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

mmr

Hi
My daughter is due her MMR jab, she had single jabs but I cant find anywhere that they do these now, the private hospital I went to has stopped as they can longer get the mumpts vaccine. Aparantly this is now a global problem. Any views? it seems odd this lack of mumps vaccine hasnt been mentioned anywhere, ie papers local or national etc. I was told by the hospital that as long as she has the combined MMR booster before 12 years old it will be ok, as the later you leave it the better, as her immune system will be stronger to deal with the combined vac

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    a few months before we were due to get the MMR I started looking into single vaccines and found somewhere (cant remember where) that supplies were running low and the manufacturers had suspended production. As far as I can remember I think they implied that production may start again but it never did.
    I'm afraid I'm a bit of a believer in money talking and think it probably suited immunisation programmes and/or the manufacturers to cease production.
    Sorry, don't know anything more about boosters etc - havent got to that stage yet!
    xxx
  • Options
    Merck apparently have the patent and due to 'lack of demand' have stopped making the single Mumps vaccine. Coincidently they also supply the UK governments combined vaccine...so make of that what you will...
    Seems ludicrous to me, in any other industry such a monopoly wouldn't be allowed by the Government, but apparently on this issue we are not permitted freedom of choice.
  • Options
    I'm convinced - it suited the govt immunisation program to have it their way - and probably not just in the UK
  • Options
    I haven't heard about this at all, it seems bad that parents are being denied a choice. Having said that, I'm not a believer in the single jabs as both my girls had the combined and had no probs.

xxx
  • Options
    I think it may be more to do with the fact that the single vaccines have never been tested, or licenced for use in this country. By that I don't mean that they haven't been saftey tested at all, but that they haven't been put through the standard licencing tests for any new drug in this country. I do think that parents should have a choice, but why would the government prevent people paying for seperate vaccines when every person that does saves the government the cost of a vaccine?
  • Options
    That's interesting, I didn't know that the single mumps vaccine had never been given. I never got the rubella vaccine as a child, I was too young to have had the single vaccine when it was discontinued, but too old to routinely be given the MMR, I had it after I had Millie as the test when I was pregnant showed I was non imune.
    xx
  • Options
    I think immunisations have always been a minefield for parents - certainly my brother (and probably me too) didnt get the measles vaccine when we were little because when it came out there was alot of negative publicity about it as well (many, many, many years ago!!)
    I did have the rubella vaccine when I was 13 - but when I was pregnant at 36 I read/heard that you should have your rubella immunity checked anyway as it supposedly can fade over the years.
    !!!MInefield!!!
    There's so much media reporting and hype nowadays over everything that it makes it 100 times harder for parents not to worry.
    Anyway - now I feel like I can have a breather for 10 years or so until dd is due cervical cancer immunisation!!
    xxx