Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Attached to bottle since coming home from hospital??

I dont know if any one will be able to give me any advice on how to deal with my LO and her sleeping.
It might sound bizzare and i dont know if its normal or not but she will not go to sleep unless she is holding her bottle.
This started 2 weeks ago when my dd came home from hospital. Long story short she had an infection and had to be fed through an NG tube for a few days! Since then getting her to sleep is a nightmare! My lo was a really good sleeper. Now when she goes to bed she will cling to her bottle and will only take 3 sips of milk and shove her dummy back in her mouth. it takes her and hour to take a few ounces of milk. If i try to assist her she freaks out and screams, if she thinks im goin near her bottle she squeazes it and screams, if i touch her dummy she panics and holds on to them like mad. One problem is she is going to sleep with a half full bottle that will leak in her cot and i dont like the thought of her sleeping in a wet patch! ive tried swapping the bottle with a comforter but she wakes and becomes really distressed and ive tried swapping it with an empty bottle but she wakes the minute she feels the bottle move. This is totally new and i dont know if its normal or ok to leave her to do this! she dosent do this during the day only at night, but is so distressed if she loses the bottle or dummy!
if any one can give me any advice or reassurance it would be much appreciated.
xx:\)

Replies

• Options
    My LO went in as a day patient and was needing lots of reassurance after. Dr said he'd remeber the trauma of it (general anaesthetic for teste op) for around 6 months. After that he'll not remember anything about it. He settled after a week or so. If she had to stay in, the reassurance and comfort seeking might last longer.

Try putting a fleece blanket under her, any spills will go through and not stay against her skin, we do this when his teeth turn him into dribble monster.

We also moved bed time bottle to before bathtime. Cuddled up on the sofa watching the last of cbeebies is a nice wind down and stopped the nonsense of brushing teeth and then drinking milk. It was easier than we thought and he loves it now.

Good luck, I'm sure she'll settle if you just give loads of reassurance and help her do what she needs to do in a safe way.