Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Fussy eater help!!!!!!!!!

5 teaspoons of dinner, is all LO ate last night and this is a on a good day! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

He has refused any milk before bed for a week now. Is he on hunger strike?
Isaac is 14 months and used to eat anything and good portions. Now I can count out my hands what he will eat! Does this mean he has made the final transition into toddler! :lol: Everything I make gets refused after a quick investigation. He will only eat hard texture things that are not mixed with anything. Anything else is treated with suspicion and tossed aside swiftly. He will eat hard cheese, bread, pasta with creamy sauce, chicken and fruit. No vegetables at all, he used to eat carrots, sweet potato, squash now these are totally refused! Please tell me it gets better!!! Why is he refusing food he ate happily?! this has been going on for 3 months now and getting progressively worse. My friends babies of same age eat well and most things! If he's this bad now what will he be like in a few months time. Mummies of fussy eaters, help! What is the point of me cooking him anything. Anyone elses lo get this fussy at similar age? Do I just keep on giving him the same foods over and over. x

[Modified by: bellah on 24 March 2010 09:43:05 ]

Replies

• Options
    sorry honey, but from my experience it doesn't get any better, not yet anyway!!

Shea started this around the same time and is now 2 1/2 and still will only eat: -
    fishfingers
    chicken nuggets
    tomato soup
    pasta
    tomato sauce (for pasta but no bits)
    cheese sauce
    hard cheese
    biscuits/cakes /sweets / lollies -NO PROBLEM WITH THESE!!
    Occasionaly yoghurts and fruit

thats about it really so I tend to give him the same things most week so I know he'll eat something. we are cruel to be kind and if he doesn't eat much its taken away and not offered anything else, so this is why he has the same things, so I know he will eat most of it.

this is quite common in toddler, but very frustrating for us mummies!!! I have spoken to hv and they assure me it will get better with age, and Shea is still growing nad putting on weight so I have got over my anxiousness with him and letting him get on with it for now!!
  • Options
    Don't panic yet. In my opinion as long as he is eating some of what you put in front of him then it isn't too bad... yet.
    My lo was the same and used to eat anything now it's hot or miss. Sometimes he will refuse to even try, in which case we remove him from his chair and don't offer anything else (if he's hungry he will eat, toddlers won't starve themselves)
    If he tries a few bites and so long as he makes a decent attempt then that's a success as far as I'm concerned.Hopefully next meal he'll eat the lot !

It is frustrating when your homemade food ends up on the carpet and in the bin. But I just keep trying and has gotten better. I will say though we definitely go through phases linked to teething and illness. Could he be teething ? S x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. It's so frustrating when I try to get him to eat a healthy, balanced diet and he's just eating a few things and no veggies at all. Its also annoying when he won't even try something that he's eaten before and loved, which is happening more and more.

Thanks for your tips on not offering anything else if he won't try. It's a tough one cos you so want them to eat something but don't want them to think they can dictate how things go! If it was up to him he'd just eat cheese and bread every meal. :roll:

He could be teething which could explain the not wanting any milk at all but the eating problem has been going on for a few months now! xx
  • Options
    Have you tried a meal plan? Some toddlers thrive on routine and my sister swears by hers - her toddler is fussy but will eat her evening meals. Perhaps by knowing what is happening when then he'll be more amenable to eating. Also if he has an afternoon snack perhaps cut it out or give something smaller so he is very definitely hungry at bedtime.

We only offer pudding if lo has made an attempt to eat some dinner. If he refuses to even try it he gets the meal taken away but sits at the table while I eat mine.

Another thing that works really well for us but is really time consuming is what I call the cheerleader effect. Basically every mouthfull that goes in gets a cheer or a clap. Positive reinforcement really works for our son, unless he genuinely dislikes something. Sometimes we have to put food in front of him one piece at a time if it's something new and cheer etc. I've heard that can work with fussy eaters too as they feel less pressured if they can't see how much they've got to eat. But again it takes time.

Hth xx
  • Options
    Thank you Jemma! We did the cheering on every mouthful thing tonight and he ate lots. Can't believe it! image Didn't think he would eat much as it was something new - sausage, bean and courgette casserole. Gave him a spoon and we gave him heaps of praise for every mouthful he ate and he just kept going and even clapping himself after! A good day today as he then took all his milk in his cup before bed - a first!! and he hasn't been drinking any milk before bed for over a week now! Hoping it works tomorrow night :roll: anyway thanks for your fab advice. Happy mummy tonight :lol: xx
  • Options
    You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked. Clever boy.

Oscar claps himself all the time. After food, after hair washing etc. It's so cute!