Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What was your LOs first word and when?

I'm asking because Max is 14 months old and still not said a word, (unles you count dadada) :lol:
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Lily's first word was grandma (well, mam-mar!) but can't remember exactly how old she was. She was younger than one but she didn't say anything else much after that! Then all of a sudden she started learning a load of new words, probably around 14-15 months and now she's never quiet!

I'm sure Max will suddenly start talking and pick it up really quickly.

xxx
  • Options
    Hi Bens first word was "Light" quickly followed by "ball".Hes 17mths now and never shuts up but as only just started to say "mum-mum"
    Sure he will all of a sudden say lots of things,thats what happened with Ben x
  • Options
    Zachariah is 14 months and also not said anything, although he does make a sound when eating that could pass as 'yum' but definitely not intentional at all! LOL! quite relieved to know he's not the only one actually, guess they all do it in their own time, maybe we'll have clever uns who wait til they have sentences sussed haha! =D
  • Options
    Yes I know I read a book that said at around 11 months they should be saying 1 or 2 words! I thought Max was a bit behind but apparently boys master the physical stuff (like crawling, walking etc) first, and girls talk first. Generally.

Although Max does seem quite aware of everything thats going on around him. Earlier when In the night garden came on, he walked over to his toy box and found his makka pakka toy, then walked but to the tv and sat down to watch with makka pakka! It was soooo sweet :\) xxxx
  • Options
    Poppy was just over 7 months old when she first said 'dada' it was very clear and cos I made such a fuss she kept saying it although she didn't really associate the word with her dad till she was about 9 months. She is now 16 months and never shuts up - she mimics everything I say which is dangerous as I still haven't managed to control my language!!
    xx
  • Options
    Hi
    Don't worry, Matthew is 21m and not talking much. HV said as long as they have understading that's the main thing. He said Mum-mum at about 9 or 10m, with some meaning I think?? Does that count?
  • Options
    Liam ????s 19 months and ????m st????ll wa????t????ng for any words!!
  • Options
    jacob is 16 months and only says mum mum and dad da-and lots of jibbarish in between
  • Options
    Hi hun,
    Sophie is 13 months and she says Hiya when osmeone comes through the door or is our mobiles ring. She does say dada and mama as well.
  • Options
    shayla's was da dad at 6 an half months then she said mum ma at 7 and said nana about 8 and not another word till 14 months. i think they take a while once they have started saying one word they concentrate on that an babble in their own language most of the time. whilst shayla was really quick with her words she wasnt crawling until gone 11 months an walking until 14 so they all take their time with different things depending on personality.
    Shayla is now 18 months and my god- i swear i hear a new word every few days now i cant beleive how quickly she is developing-on the downside,i keep having to have a go at my OH about the swearing lol!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Like most of your lo's Erin said dada at 7mnths ish then nothing else for ather ages... at 14mnths as she was learning to walk we taught her to say GO, that was her 1st proper word. She's now almost 18mnths and say lots of recognisable words. I was worried about her speech as she is quite a lazy girl but from 14mnths there has been no shutting her up.
    Like someone already said, i wouldnt worry as long as your lo has understanding of words you say.. the rest will follow, as my step mam says, dont worry they can all walk and talk by the time they get to school..! ha!ha! x
  • Options
    hi, chloe was 7months when she said hiya closely followed by mamma and dadda. at 10 months she was saying whats that and now at 2 you can have a full blown conversation.

anatoriac you may have a point chloewas very quick to talk but she was 15 months before she walked.
  • Options
    Kara is 16 months and never shuts up. Half of them is just to herself though. She said mama first and I think she was about 7 months. She said dada a couple of days later. However I get my full title of Mummy now and its so cute. She also says baby, daddy, granda, nana. Last week my husband taught her to say my name Louise and she says it no bother. She also calls my brother Gavin although it isn't clear but you know thats what she is saying because it is the same all the time. She also understands everything that you tell her. Kara however still isn't walking. Think she prefers the talking. SHe just bumshuffles. She just has to gain the confidence to let go of my finger and go on her own.
  • Options
    Ellie is definatly the talking toddler of the forum then! LOL She said dada clear as day at 3 months old and she is now 15 months and can say about 20 words with meaning and is even putting words together, she sai thank you mama a few weeks ago about 14 months old. Now saying that all i ever done was sit and talk to her from she was born etc and i think she is like her mummy and dosnt know when to shut up! LOL
    She is slow on the walking front though and has only 5 teeth so i think she makes up for that with her chittering! x
  • Options
    rhys is 13months and says a couple of words apart from mama and daddy his first was fish at about 11 months. He says about 10 words now (not super clear but me n oh understand as says same thing each time). His new word of the day is banana (nar nar) I asked if he wanted a banana and he said it was so cute and then when he saw it in my hand he said it again.
  • Options
    Sonny is 20 months and said nothing up unitl xmas, well he said dad-deeee, but called everything that, but now all of a sudden he seems to say a new word everyday.
  • Options
    Isaac is 15 months and said dada at 7 months. Nothing since. No real words not really any babble either. He understands everything I tell him tho, which is scary. I am starting to worry that he'll be mute image
  • Options
    felicity said 'daddy' as clear as anything at 10months and now at the age of 3 she talks TOO much. We have just bought her Little Miss Chatterbox cutlery, cup and bowl set!! haha
    fiona xx
    14+2
  • Options
    Spence was 15.5 months when he said "juice" with meaning and in the right context. It was shortly followed by daddy and then mummy.

He's now 18 months old and can say about 10 words with meaning, he's getting there slowly but is noticeably behind a lot of his friends.

Liz x