My apple horror..

I had the post terrifying experience of my entire life on tuesday.. I chopped up some apple slices for Eoin (Very nearly two yrs old) and and he jumped up onto the sofa next to me. We both sat nicely munching our apple and watching telly. Next thing, I glance down at him next to me, his face an expression of pure terror, his mouth was hanging open, and his eyes staring wildly at me in panic. I realised he couldnt breathe and must be choking.. I immediately leapt into efforts to dislodge the apple ,recalling my peadiatric first aid training (phew) after attempting to 'whack' it out holding him facing downwads. I lifted him back up, and his eyes wernt wild anymore, they seemed to be staring blankly, his mouth hung open slightly to the side and he was turning slightly purple!!! I burst into tears and franticly repeated the procedure to dislodge the apple.. finally I heard my little boy cry.. the first time I think I ever been so pleased to hear him cry.. and the apple chunk flew out. I was so shaken up, and still am.. Eoin is ok, bless him, he must have been terrified.
I no longer give him apple (maybe grated when Im over the shock) He dosnt sit on the sofa eating, only at the table, and I never have the tv on when he's eating/snacking so he concentrates on chewing, not iggle piggle or whoever!!
Thank you for reading girls, just felt I needed to post this as a warning as I nearly lost my little boy that day, and would never want anyome to experience the horror I did. take care xx


[Modified by: Palmtree on 12 October 2009 09:39:38 ]

Posts

  • How scary. I'm terrified of either of my boys choking and I still cut grapes up into little pieces for my nearly 6 year old!
    Hope you're both ok now, N xx
  • OMG that must have been truly terrifying!! Poor little Eoin! You did so well.
    This is something that really does petrify me as I have never taken any kind of first aid course or anything but reading this has made me think I should really get my ass into gear and go and do something.
    I'm scared I'd just be hysterical and unable to do anything but guess your instinct just kicks in?

    Anyway, so glad to hear your both ok and thanks for posting this as it never hurts for us all to be that little bit extra careful when it comes to our lo's. xx
  • I have had this a couple of times with breadsticks, I just turn him totally head down and wack his back like there is no tomorrow - scary stuff! Always comes out though. I still give him breadstick, as he needs to learn how to chew and not overcomensate on quick swallowing ...
  • Oh that sounds awful. Poor Eoin. Glad he's Ok bless him and well done you for staying so calm and sorting him out.
    Always been a bit scared of apple for lo and won't be rushing to give him some anytime soon ! S x
  • well done you for handling it so well.

    I too went on a first aid course and it does help to keep you calm in a crisis.

    I knew a nurse in PICU who years ago told me about an 18 month old boy who choked on half a cherry tomato. He was in a coma for days and eventually died. It broke my heart and makes me think before giving them certain things. The tomato went down his windpipe and blocked it. ...

    She told me to hold them over your arm, head down and pat them hard and sharp between the shoulder blades. Whilst doing this get someone to call 999... if you are alone walk to phone whilst doing this and call. She said its easy to tell them it has come out and all is OK but seconde become vital when they are not breathing so it is best to call 999 if they are not breathing. Also she said you can start CPR if needed. She said to keep their heart pumping and to get even a tiny bit of air into their lungs is better than doing nothing.

    I think all HV's should run basic first aid courses that parents have to attend...

    Glad he Ok though and well done again for quick action

    d xxx
  • How scary. Both my two have choked a couple of times but it's never been as bad as that, one quick thump has always shifted it.
    Dee, that's really good advice about phoning stright away, I wouldn't have thought to fetch the phone whilst trying to get it up, but your right, every second counts in that situation.
    xx
  • good to hear your lo is ok. Well done you though for what you did.

    My friend is a paed nurse in GOSH, she was out shopping with her friend when she saw a child blue in the face and upside down. she just dropped her bags and ran. Whacked the 8yr old on her back a couple of times and out popped the pineapple. People dont realise that you ahve to whack them on the back. In this incident the childs family were just lightly tap her on the back. This wouldnt dislodge something in the airway.

    I did nurseiong for a few months before my daughter arrived and I hate respiratory nursing and Ive witnesses choking in an adult. I wont give my daughter apple purely because im scared of choking. She does have it but only when my husbands in the huse. As hes a trained medic, as is more relaxed than me, he scares me when he gives her a cherry tom whole.

    You did the right thing, like dee dee said, maybe a 999 call on loud speak would be good so you know help is on the way. However, saying that I think instinct is to get it out, not grab a phone.

    My hv did a talk about emergency illnesses and said never to give a child food when not in the highchair as you never know when they will choke.
  • Poor you, it's so traumatic when someting like that happens.

    I remember when Alex was about 10 moths old. We were round at my Dads and I was in the kitchen getting myself a drink and he had given her some mini cheddars to snack on. I remember sitting down and just hearing Alex struggling for breath. She was really red in the face and looked terrified. I panicked, burst into tears and screamed at my Dad to do something - luckily he's medically trained and tried hitting her between the shoulder blades. Unfortuntately this didn't work so he had to turn her upside down and try it again, by this time she was really quiet and going blue. Luckily he managed to disloge it the second time and she burst into tears with shock. She's not had mini cheddars since and she's now 19 months old, but I am now trained in first aid... Better to be safe than sorry... x
Sign In or Register to comment.

Featured Discussions

Promoted Content