Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how much t.v is too much??

just thought it'd be a conversation starter image
how much t.v do you let your l/o's watch? do you control what they watch? at what age do you think is o.k for them to have a t.v in their bedroom?

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    My eldest is 21 months old. He watches "milkshake" in the morning from 7.30 until 9am.It means I can get stuff done; washing up/cleaning teeth!! TV then goes off for the day. I put it on in the evening and occasionally during the day and he doesn't really take any notice of it. Then at 6.20pm we all watch "in the night garden" (cbeebies) which he loves as does my 6 month old! It really calms them down before bed.

I personally wouldn't let them have a tv in their rooms until they were at least 8 years old.
  • Options
    i agree i feel tv's in their rooms encourages them to slink off the their bedroom. my lo watches tv for about and hour in the morning and like yours sara loves night garden so it goes on at 6oclock for bedtime hour. i have it on now and again during day and if im in a make sure its on from 12.30-1.30 so that i can see loose women. sometimes it on during the day but to be honest the only time she sits and actually watched it properly is when night gardn is on. (she is 11months)
  • Options
    My daughter who is 2 has her own playroom downstairs which had a TV with cbeebies, video & DVd, which she watches on an evening, it generally goes on after tea (about 5:30 till 7) then for few hours at the weekend, she also cant miss the night garden so she will sit & watch that, but most of the time its just on in the background while we are drawing/painting, playing etc, she wont gernerally take much notice of it unless something she really likes is on, or if she fancies a DVD.
  • Options
    my lo is a bit young for telly 10mths. we have rented baby bright dvd's b4 and she loved them and we also have the cd so when she hears the music she will look at tv!!!! i dont agree with them having tv's in there room, you cant control what there watching or for how long. i know someone who has a 6 and a 2 yr old they have dvd b4 bed cos she cant be bothered to read to them!!!!! it should never be a replacement for reading. i didnt have a tv in my room till i was about 14!! and i think thats about right.
  • Options
    Lol im a bad mother. the tv is never off in my house its always playing away in the background! Its not always being watched though, eldest is at school so will only watch it a couple of hours on an evening but my son watches cbeebies 9am-10.30am (bbc2, dont have sky) and then looses intrest as there are no more kids progs on. he will then usually watch cbbc1 3.30pm until 5pm with my daughter and they also watch simpsons 6pm-6.30pm on an evening. my lo is too young to watch tv.
    My daughter has had a tv in her room since she was about 2yrs and my 3yr old son is getting one for xmas. They dont watch tv in their rooms much though only maybe an hour on weekend mornings whilst me and oh have a few minutes more kip!
    I think the tv is on most of the time in my house because i dont like the house quiet so i have it on for the background noise, i only watch about an hours tv a day if im lucky enough to get a sit down!
  • Options
    no ones saying anyones a bad mother (except maybe the person i know who doesnt read to her kids!!!). i know what you mean about a quiet house we always have music on. she loves to 'dance' to the music. im sure it will change when she is older.
  • Options
    I let my little girl watch TV in the morning after breakfast for a while just until I get cleared up & then we usually go out somewhere. Then she gets around 45 minutes in the afternoon before she goes for her nap.

I personally dont agree with them having a TV in their bedrooms at any age & when I got married I made a strict 'just 1 TV in the house' rule with hubby so we dont have one in our bedroom either.

Hilary x
  • Options
    I'm with hilaryc on this one. In my job I find it a constant battle to convince mums that turning the telly off and replacing it with adult/child interaction will be the best thing for their child's language development. Children do not have the ability to 'multitask' like we do, their attention is single-channelled till around 4 years of age. Having a tv on as a constant background noise will do nothing to help the development of their attention and listening. To benefit from learning from your communication they need to hear it in isolation to other noises and distractions. Television CAN be a great educational tool, but the time spent in front of it is best focused to specific times of the day. Even better, watch the programme with your child and comment/ask questions as it goes on. Studies are now showing that when compared to time spent interacting with parents, young children who watched even highly 'educational' programmes like 'baby einstein' actually had poorer vocabularies. Like anything else, I suppose moderation is best.
  • Options
    Lol im a bad mother. the tv is never off in my house its always playing away in the background! Its not always being watched though, eldest is at school so will only watch it a couple of hours on an evening but my son watches cbeebies 9am-10.30am (bbc2, dont have sky) and then looses intrest as there are no more kids progs on. he will then usually watch cbbc1 3.30pm until 5pm with my daughter and they also watch simpsons 6pm-6.30pm on an evening. my lo is too young to watch tv.
    My daughter has had a tv in her room since she was about 2yrs and my 3yr old son is getting one for xmas. They dont watch tv in their rooms much though only maybe an hour on weekend mornings whilst me and oh have a few minutes more kip!
    I think the tv is on most of the time in my house because i dont like the house quiet so i have it on for the background noise, i only watch about an hours tv a day if im lucky enough to get a sit down!

hi im pretty much the same, i hate the silence, wee wee girl (3) doesnt just sit fixed to tv though and dosent very often properly sit and watch a programme, but it does keep her amused while it ry to attempt getting dishes done or something.
  • Options
    turning the telly off and replacing it with adult/child interaction will be the best thing for their child's language development.
    we know!!!

i have the t.v on A LOT but this doesn't replace story time, 1-1 conversation and playing games. we like to curl up on the sofa and watch a dvd at the weekends too.

i wouldn't personally have a t.v in child's bedroom as i'd never get him away from it! (he's 4) i will resist for as long as possible!!

as for the l/o (9 months) he doesn't pay the slightest bit of attention as yet, he loves music though, haven't seen 'in the night garden' will have to see if i can stand to watch it, before i let the l/o see it!

• Options
    I like In the night garden nearly as much as Millie does! It is utter drivel when veiwed from an adult perspective but there is a good range of characters each with there own little song which she really loves. It is quite repetitive but I think really lo's like that as they know what is coming next. At the end of some episodes all the characters do a little dance and Mille insists on joining in, she is only 14months and not walking properly yet but she stands there holding on to my hands swaying from foot to foot and clapping and waving, it never fails to make me laugh.

I don't think tv is a replacement for proper 1-2-1 interaction but I think in small doses it can be really good. Millie loves to see animals on the TV like lions and tigers that she can't see in real life and although we spend alot of time reading I think that things like that are better on the TV as she can see them moving about.
  • Options
    I agree that children can get alot out of small doses of tv. Amy is a huge In the Night Garden fan & she loves the little dance at the end too & she loves anything with animals in it too so we usually watch Mama Mirabelles home movies over breakfast too.

Although I dont agree with children sitting in front of a TV on their own all day, I also think that in moderation TV can be a great learning tool for them too.

Hilary x
  • Options
    My daughter has decided recently that she doesn't want her morning sleep (she is nearly 13months), so instead we have half an hour 'cuddle time' were we have milk and cuddles on the sofa and watch some tv (fifi is her favourite). Sometimes she watchs TV with her Dad at the weekend while I make breakfast....... personally I don't like more than a hours TV a day. I much prefer to put on a CD or the radio and gets some colouring paper out or read a book.