Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What do you think?

My lo (17 months) regularly goes through the kitchen cupboards pulling out things, moving them around and generally creating a mess. I don't really have a problem with it as I have locks on the dangerous/glass things and it doesn't take long to clear it away. I can see that my oh however isn't keen on him doing this and often tells him no, i then have to tell him I let him do it so he can't really tell lo not to. So, oh now lets him but I can tell he's not overly happy and thinks we need to set more bounderies! If I'm really honest I'm happy for him to turn out the cupboards as it allows me to get on with a few things whilst he occupies himself. But now starting to wonder if I should start letting him know that he shouldn't be doing this?? What do you think? Are your lo's allowed to go through the kitchen cupboards?! xx

Replies

• Options
    hi missymoo, i also let my lo turn out certain cupboards as you say i dont let her in any of the dangerous stuff. i really dont see the harm in it but my oh also isnt keen. as i see it they arent really doing any harm. i do however make her help me put it away again.xx
  • Options
    Hi,
    I don't let my lo in my cupboards as there are breakables in the lower cupboards image but in other houses we've let my sons have a cupboard to themselves, which only had in stuff they couldn't demolish! They knew it was their cupboard and played with the stuff (wooden spoons, plastic containers, beakers etc) whilst I was in the kitchen. Wish I could do it in this kitchen for Gracie, but it's not possible.
  • Options
    Difficult one.

Joshua opens the cupboards and has a little nose but he only ever pulls out the pegs and empties them onto the floor! I do say no if he goes to the cleaning cupboard and sometimes I ahve to move him away.

I suppose if your oh doesnt like it putting locks on would be easier then saying no all the time. I quite like that Joshua likes to explore but it is a bit annoying when the pots and pans some out then the sieve...you get the idea! x
  • Options
    oh rach beat me to it thats what i was going to say - if you set aside saucepans and lids and spoons to bang and tubs to put stuff in and out of it may placate your hubby a bit. I think so long as you are disciplined with the important stuff then routing thru a couple of cupboards that don't have anything dangerous in is ok.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm glad you all agree it's not such a big deal..think I will get a few more locks so it's not out of control and just have one or two cupboards accessible. I really like the idea of rach24s treasure box too. xx
  • Options
    I'm a grumpy old mummy as I don't let Lily empty any of the kitchen cupboards - even it just contains harmless stuff like pegs. I think she's got to learn that she can't have everything and some things are off limits. Fortunately OH is in agreement so we don;t have an issue with it. She will open cupboards up to have a nosy but we say don't touch and most of the time she'll walk away. Other times she'll protest loudly, but we don't give in!!
    Lily has a treasure basket full of ordinary household items. We get it out every so often and it keeps her entertained.
  • Options
    Hi
    Eve has always emptied the cupboards.But it got to the point that I got fed up with the mess as it was always the cerial cupboard!!.
    So I did put locks on some cupboards but she still can get into some of them.I don't think its a problem at all - just completly normal all toddlers go through a stage of doing it.But they do grow out of it.!!
  • Options
    Cole is banned from the kitchen! We have just had a new kitchen fitted adn on the odd occasion he has been in (sometimes its easier than having him hanging over teh baby gate crying) he hasn't figured out that he can get in the cupboards yet which is good casue i can't quite bear to make holes in the lovely new units just yet!

The reason he's banned though is because he is obsessed with the washer and dryer and they are both quite new and i don't want them breaking!

To be honest, if he was going into a cupboard that had nothign harmful in, i'd let him if it meant i could get on with something - and since i remembered my builder moved the washer socket so i can turn it off easily I have let him play with the washing machine while switched off on the odd occasion just so i can get stuff sorted. just hoping he feels better/teeth hurry up so he won't be so clingy soon and i can leave him on the other side of the gate playing instead of crying!!