Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Moving to a bed

My 22 month old is still in a cot. We are having our second in March and there are obviously alot of things I want to get done before then, like potty training and the move from cot to bed.

I have been reading about good sleepers turning bad once you make that move.

I'd be interested to here what age people moved their little ones? and how did it affect sleep patterns?

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Its funny you should mention this as I've just read the post 'wont sleep on her own- HELP i have bags' It seems like problems can arise once they switch to a bed.I was trying to come up with some reply that was worth while but my LO is only 14 months so i havnt any experience on this issue (just another lucky Mum with it all to come!!) all i would say is maybe dont rush things as ur expecting another baby in March. I would just enjoy the sleep and get as much rest as u can while u can and in the meantime try to get your toddler potty trained so u dont have the two in nappies, and then once thats acheived look at moving your toddler into a bed as u will obviously be having to get out of bed in the night towards the end of your pregnancy and once the new arrival is here (congrats by the way!!)

Good luck anyway and hope all works out well for u

Hannah xx
  • Options
    I had no issue moving my 15 month old to his bed but have made sure he has lots of pillows on the bed to stop him falling/climbing out. I have a good sleeper though & as soon as he is put down for the night closes his eyes & thats it. He used to babble a bit but even that has stopped & I found he has a much better sleep in the bed as he was just too big for the cot. So it's not all horror stories. That said, I kept the cot up for the first week just in case
  • Options
    hiya. iv no experience as such but, iv just had a baby (2weeks ago) and my eldest is 13months old, instead of having to buy a new cot we want our eldest in her own bed by time little one is 6 months.

so in order for us to prepair for this we have taken the side of the cot off (its a cot that turns into a little bed) so she can get used to there only being 3 sides to the bed instead of 4, and i have to say she loves it! we have got up a few times and shes been asleep on the floor!lol, but all in all its gone well so far.

is there anyway you could do something like this? at least that way its not as big of a shock for them?
  • Options
    Hi

I was in a similar position to you. My daugter is 21 months and I am expecting number 2 at the end of december.

I wanted to move her into her bed in plenty of time to be settled and use to her bed by the time number 2 came along so she didn't feel like she was being chucked out of her cot for the baby to take over!

We moved her into her bed 1 month a go. The first few nights she kept getting out of bed as it was a novelty being able to escape. I just picked her up and put her straight back in without talking to her. After a couple of nights she got the idea and now gets up maybe one time at the most after we put her in. I think you have to be firm with them or they totally play on it.

She is in a little bed which has a built in guard around the top to help stop her falling out and is quite low to the floor.

The first night she did fall out much to our horror, this was because we gave her a pilllow which she wasn't used to so was moving down the bed to get away from it! We used her cot blankets for the first week so it didn't feel too alien to her. She now just has her quilt with no pillow.

She sleeps exactly the same as she did in her cot, no better no worse.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of an essay!

I plan to tackle the potty training when she is a bit older and I am on maternity leave so I will be at home alot!

Good luck
  • Options
    I have a 2 yr old and also expecting another in march (Sarah are u in expecting in march forum?) I was very lucky with my lo as he had started to climb out of his cot by about 18months old, so he kinda told us he was ready for a bed!! so we just decided to take 1 side off of his cot (also have cot bed), we bought a guard and havent had any problems. we have had the odd night where he has fallen out of bed, cos hes sucha fidget!! but apart from that oh and his sleepwalking- but thats another story!! we've had no probs. my advise would be to do it when u feel your lo is ready. think only problems arise with these things if pushed into them too young.

I'm in similar situation with potty training- as i dont really want 2 in nappies. but my lo is no where near ready yet, so i'm just gonna leave it till hes ready!!

Tanya
    xx

ps sarah maybe see you in due in ,march forum
    x;\)
  • Options
    We gave Millie a quilt and pillow before she went into a bed so that she was used to them. We moved her when she was about 18 months and she loved it, she helped us build her new bed and was really excited about it. We left the cot up in her room incase she didn't like her bed but she refused to go to sleep untill we took it away!!! She always slept well in her cot and putting her in her bed made no difference at all. She is now just over two, we have had a new baby so lots of change, and she still never gets out of bed. Even in the morning she just shouts for us and waits untill we fetch her before she gets out! She did fall out once, on her second night, but I had moved her when we went to bed as she was lying funny and I think that confused her.
    xx
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am expecting baby no 2 at the beginning of December and my lo is 18 months old. I wanted to move her into a bed before the baby was born so that she wouldn't feel she was being made to sleep in a big bed because of the baby and to get used to it before her world becomes very different.
    I was dreading it as she can be an early riser and difficult to get to sleep at lunch time. We moved her last Friday and she has been amazing she goes to sleep alot quicker than she did before, she doesn't get out, she goes to sleep on her own at lunch time and sleeps in longer in the morning. She also loves playing with her bed putting all her teddies on then taking them off. I think she feels like she is a big girl now! She is in the cotbed without the sides on. We gave her a pillow and duvet before taking the sides off so she got used to not having a sleeping bag.
    The transisition may not be as bad as you think.
    Good luck
    Sarah x
  • Options
    Hi, Our second baby is also due in march, so last month i moved my daughter who is 2 next month into a bed as she sleeps in my sisters bed when i go to my mums so i thought she was ready. She has always been a very good sleeper and when we changed her to a bed she would sleep but she would keep getting up and playing or standing at her door for ages before finally falling asleep and her day nap became impossible and she would not sleep and then be in a bad mood all day. In the end we moved her back to a cot and she was a lot happier. To be honest i really don't mind as long as she is happy with sleeping in her cot. I will probably just keep her in a cot now even if she is still in it when baby arrives as i know that having another baby is abig enough change for her and i'd rather she was sleeping at night when baby is born. If you think your LO is ready for abed then you can try and if it doesn't work then you can always change it back to a cot. As for pooty training- i started potty training her at 14 months old just showing her the potty to start off with, as again she was showing signs that she is ready to be out of nappies like telling me when she needs a nappy change etc but she is now 23 months and has never been for a wee or poo on the potty or toilet!! She now tells me when she is going but if i sit her on the potty she just holds it in and gets tummy ache!!! I will keep trying though as i do want her outof nappies by the time the baby is here. Sorry if i wasn't much help but thought i'd ofer my experience. xxx
  • Options
    hi im new 2 this site as i have only just joined i have a 22 month old little boy and 2night will b his first nite in his own bed im just hoping it all goes well lol
  • Options
    A big thanks to everyone who replied. Congrats to everyone who is expecting and yes I have recently logged onto the March forum.

I was on line with my first and found it quite adictive so you might here more from me!!

We do have a cot bed and I have recently given lo a pillow to try and get her to sleep in one place so might try taking the side off soon and see what happens! We want the cot for the next one and I've got my eye on a lovely little girly bed !:\)
  • Options
    Just a little update, I moved my lo to her "big girl" bed on Saturday night. She absolutely loves it, she goes to bed and sleeps through as she did in her cot and when she wakes up in the morning she just lays there singing and playing with her teddy bear, and she hasn't fallen out yet either.

Also when ever she goes into her room she gets back into bed, I know it's early days yet and she may start getting out but things are looking good at the moment.