Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

debate on benifits??

hiya,i no this may rub some people up the wrong way but i was wondering what other people thought about people who claim benifits just so they can stay at home and have babys? its a sore subject i no,but its hard when you or your oh works all hours godsends and pays ??120 a WEEK! in tax so other lazy ***** can stay and claim benifits! any veiws i cant be the only person it makes mad!???x

Replies

• Options
    I do claim benefits not on the fact because i want to sit at home and make babies! I am a single mum and at the moment i am staying home to bring up my son. Once always worked since i was 16 and always paid my tax and NI so i should be entitled to.
  • Options
    you know your self that having kids you cant just sit at home and do nothing its like having a full time job, exept you dont get days off and its a 24 hour job, i stay at home but only get working family tax as my husband has 2 jobs so i can stay at home and bring my daughter up, if i women has a kid under the age of 3 i think the have every right it stay at home and look after they kid weather the claming benfits or not, when they kid is in full time school i do think that in some ways the should go back to work, xxx
  • Options
    totally agree!
  • Options
    I have a 2 year old and i work 3 days a week, 11 hour days so that i can work and not pay to much child care (??280 a month though) i completly agree that some people take it to the extreme, but i think everyone is individual and I for one am ttc my second and will be physically unable to work and pay childcare for 2 children, so I wont be working for atleast 2 years whilst and im going to go to colleage and do a nursery nurse NVQ, but ive been working since i was 16 and agree that i have paid my fair share of tax so am now entitled!!!! x

http://b3.lilypie.com/VWrOp1/.png

http://tt.lilypie.com/P2wdp1/.png

• Options
    I don't work, oh fortunately earns enough to support us without me having to, good job really because my salary wouldn't have covered child care! It does wind me up when people are taking the piss claiming benefits but I think most of the time the people on them genuinely need the help. I like to think that if circumstances were to change we would get the help we needed. Don't forget as well that taxes don't just pay for benefits! I'm guessing that pretty much all of us had NHS maternity care, most of us will use state schools, we drive on public roads etc etc, the money has to come from somewhere!
    xx
  • Options
    me and hubby both work full time and hubby pays in tax about half of my wage! i am fortunate enough to finish at lunchtime but i have to work 13 out of 14 days a fortnight.i have a friend and she doesnt work and neither does her husband,they claim well over ??500 a month in benefits,have council tax paid and their rent paid on a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom new build and they maon about having no money and tell me im rubbing it in their faces when we buy something new! this is what annoys me because we work really hard (i know stay at home parents do too as i was one for daughters first year) and i think they should be the last to comment on what we spend our wages on!
    i think if you are a couple then at least one of you should work or share work and both go part time but if you are a single parent it is a different ball game altogether. i have another friend who is a single mum and she does avon and a paper round to earn some extra cah and can take her lo with her which i thought was a good idea.
    thing is the government make it too easy to claim now. anyway rant over,lol. end point is- each to their own,regardless of how many people claim our taxes wont go down anyway!
  • Options
    The thing is....ive just been on another forum site and there are people on there that say they enjoy not working,staying at home being lazy and claiming every benifit under the sun and if were foolish enough to pay for them to do that and work then more fool us....well as you can imagine this really got my back up!i am a sahm my oh works really hard to provide for me and the lo all i get is a bit of poxy tax credits im not saying that its all people that claim benifits but the ones who do and rub it in your face.....discracefull "!
  • Options
    that is disgusting, to be honest though the goverment need to make it so that, if there is a couple then atleast one of them should work or do something so we can get more help with childcare cost, that sort of thing, but i agree some people take the absolute piss!!!
  • Options
    Both me and my Oh work and to be honest it really annoys me when people who claim benefits are more than capable to work. I have no problem with people who are entitled to these benefits. I am trying to cut my hours from 36 to 32 1/2 hours a week before I return in 2 weeks time. I will be down money but I don't get it made up anywhere else i.e child tax credit or working tax credit. My husband works 40 hours a week and his wages are really basic. We are not even entitled to working tax credit as we apparently earn enough and over the threshold. It annoys me that we work so hard for our money and have to pay for everything and other people sitting on their A**es and get everything paid for them and are still better off than us every month. My SIL is like this and it annoys me. She has 2 children aged 15 and 6 and her and her husband are more than able to work but they would rather live off benefits.

Sorry if I offended anyone it is not intended. I just hate the fact that I work so hard and get nothing for it. Though for my self respect I would rather work and earn money than expecting the Government to keep me.
  • Options
    hi just wanted to say i claimed benifits 3mths after my daughter was born as the place i worked decided i wasnt able to have mat pay off them even though i was working over 16hr wk and they had told me i could get it twice so i had no other choice as i was a single mum at the time and had to pay the bills some how im lucky now as i found a men man who is happy to work so i can stay at home with my daughter and we r trying for another baby and i will be staying at home atleast till the next baby is 3
  • Options
    i dont think it is wrong to claim benefits in the right circumstances but if both people are capable of work and neither are interested then im sorry but its just lazy. my oh works fulltime & overtime and i work parttime to keep our house. as i said i dont have a problem with people claiming benefits when they need then afterall thats what they are there for but there are too many people in this country who just take the p***.
  • Options
    It seems that everyone on here has the same opinion.

"If you genuinly need it, then claim it. But if you are physically able to provide for your family why should you be able to sit on your bum and do nothing?"

This subject really annoys me. My brother is 30 years old and hasn't worked for 4 years (all that time claiming job seekers allowence) He lives in a house my mum owns and pays nothing towards his bill, my mum pays them all. This really annoys me as my oh works every hour god sends to provide for his family and i still work regardless of having a 21 month old toddler and being 36 weeks pregnant! and we can not claim anything. I had this out with my brother and his reply was "he wont work for minimum wage" well im sorry but its tough you should have to. My oh earns a good wage because he trained on crap wages for 5 years and pays ??300 in tax every week!
    I understand that some people have to claim benefits, same as i would have to do if me and my oh split up, as i couldnt work, but there is way too many people claiming when they dont need to and the sad thing about it is, everyone who claims benefits then gets tied with the same brush.
    The worst thing is all the people doing this, are basically sitting back laughing at all us who go out to work and pay are taxes and were the ones who will be getting into debt to pay for our houses ect, while they get it all handed to them on a plate.
    sorry rant over lol
  • Options
    i would just like to point out that the benefits the unemployed get are ridiculously low, you try living off ??45/week and you'd not think it was so easy! o.k you'd get your rent and council tax paid for you but what about gas/electric, phone, t.v license, FOOD, (run a car?). the basic child tax credit is about ??40, so thats ??85 per week for EVERYTHING....
    easy life????
  • Options
    basic child tax credit is ??18.81 a week, thats all I'm entitled to for having a baby.
  • Options
    We will be returning to live in England in the next 2-3 months (long story but also necessary) and will be claiming tax credits etc but only because the job my husband will be returning to pays just about minimum for an interim period until he can progress further. I am currently 18wks so will not be working just yet but have already said that I will look for a part-time job next year to help out. Our eldest 2 will are full-time schoolers, our 3rd will be part-time pre-school which'll leave no4 & 5 at home pretty much all the time so am thinking of something I can do in the evenings as childcare will be astronomical!!

I'm not ashamed to claim what we are entitled to - my dh has worked for 24 years (from age 16) and I've done my bit (inbetween babies hehe) but do agree, it's those that rub it in and who can't be bothered to work that get my back up.
  • Options
    I went out yesterday and saw someone i new,she was with a girl who was about 15! with a baby in a nice swanky pushchair"nice pram"i said she replied"thanks i got it with my 500 ssmgrant i said oh i couldnt get that coz my oh earns to much,she said"i claim every benifit going it sure beats working"!!!! i had such a job to hold my tongue and just said its alright for some,i was really really mad at her and the fact that i didnt say anything else! i have nothing agaist young mums but no wonder they are sometimes tarnished with the same brush and yes it could of been someone in there 20s 30s so on but i was very mad!x
  • Options
    mumto2,24

like we said if you are unemployed and have no choice to be, then by all means you should get enough to live on, but if you can work then why shouldnt you?
    I pay over ??1500 in bills a month in bills alone to pay for my house and we work for every penny for it. Do you think that cause we work we all have lots of money left over? No we dont every penny goes to pay for food, bills and to clothe our children.
  • Options
    i'm one of those people that doesn't earn very much but earns too much to get any help. when i go back to work i'll be earning between 6 - 7.50 an hour but childcare for 2 boys will cost ??6. fortunatley the shifts i work don't always coincide with when hubby is working so i don't always have to pay for childcare. i don't get help because my husbands income is just enough that our joint income doesn't qualify us for help.
    there is no way i could afford to stay at home on just my hubbys salary.
    when i went on maternity leave the first time i was really disappointed with the lack of help i got.
    i have worked all my life and paid my taxes and like some have said some people are able to stay at home not having ever contributed anything and have many things paid for them. i went back to work when my lo was 4 months because we just couldn't afford our bills.
    I think people should get help to stay at home and look after their children - i would stay at home to look after mine if i could afford to or if i got help.
    the government spend a lot of money paying for childcare - why can't they pay me to stay home and look after my own child!
    if you are a single parent it must be impossible to negotiate your way round working and childcare - its hard enough with a partner. not just that but what about when your child is sick or on school holidays?!
    speckle - i agree -ALL our money is gone (on bills) within the first week of the month and we have to use credit cards to pay for petrol and food. then of course the next month we start in the negative and our debts get bigger. I've not long had my second son and will have to go back to work soon

sorry - that turned into a bit of a ramble round the houses but basically yes people should get help but there are always going to be those that deserve it that may or may not get help. then there are those that completely take advantage!!
  • Options
    mumto2,24

like we said if you are unemployed and have no choice to be, then by all means you should get enough to live on, but if you can work then why shouldnt you?
    I pay over ??1500 in bills a month in bills alone to pay for my house and we work for every penny for it. Do you think that cause we work we all have lots of money left over? No we dont every penny goes to pay for food, bills and to clothe our children.

oh i do understand that speckle i just don't like that pretty girl seems to think that people on benefit sit on their arse and get everything handed to them.

prettygirl

I went out yesterday and saw someone i new,she was with a girl who was about 15! with a baby in a nice swanky pushchair"nice pram"i said she replied"thanks i got it with my 500 ssmgrant

i'm sorry but if she qualifies for these benefits why shouldn't she buy something nice for the baby???
    why is it the people that claim benefit annoy you so much? should it not be the government for the ridiculous system they have?
  • Options
    I agree with you Mum2 2,24. It's the governments system thats to blame. I have been on Jobseekers before (which was ridiculous as I was 6 months pregnant and no one would give me a job) and when I went to sign on, no one ever even asked me what I had done to find a job, all they said was "Have you looked for a job?" I said yes (I actually had, I wasnt lying) and they signed my book & that was it. I don't see how you can blame some people for taking all they can get, when they get it soooo easily. Benefits are an absolute pittance as well so I don't think it is an "easy life" so to speak...The people who are getting a fortune off benefits are playing the system by pretending to be single or working whilst they are signing on; the people who are honest are getting practically nothing. My oh works and I dont get any benefits now except child tax credits (when I apply for them!) and child benefit. But if I was a single mum then yes I would claim benefits because I'd want to be at home for my son and because I would never get a qualified job so I couldnt afford childcare. I think the governments system is what makes people so reluctant to get a job cos its soooo easy to get JSA. My OH was on JSA and not even looking for a job for 3 years. He was 16 at the time and this was before I met him, now he has been working fulltime for 3 years but it just shows how easy it is to sign on x