Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Shopping with lo a nightmare!!!

Has anyone any tips how to keep lo occupied while food shopping? Kade is getting a complete nightmare lately everytime we go. He sits in the trolley and screams at the top of his voice for no reason so everyone looks then on a couple of occasions if I have got too close to an shelf, he grabs out and pulls things off! (Has even smashed a few jars before now- embarrasing!)
Then when we get to the till he is unpacking the bags and tossing stuff out of the trolley as quick as I'm putting it in :lol:

Today I tried taking his jiggle bug and fastening it to the trolley but he wasn't bothered about it, more interesting things to do in the supermarket hehe

Replies

• Options
    if poss don't shop with him! i know that cna be impossible for some mums! if he behaves badly, leave and try again later when he has calmed down. i used to promise my neice a trip to the playground on the way home if she was good. it worked nearly every time. don't bribe him with treats, it will only escalate when you don't let him have treats! is he old enough to help you with the shopping? get him to chose some fruit, get something off the low shelf or shelf at his height? give him tasks to keep him occupied. don't shop when he is tired or hungry and do something nice afterwards.
    hope this helps, my lo hasn't got to this stage yet but i'm sure it's coming. hopefully you will be able to advise me then on what worked for you! good luck!
  • Options
    Online shopping??
    I'm afraid I don't have any better suggestions but look on the bright side, when Millie gets bored of doing all those thing she amuses herself poking Barney in the face :roll:
  • Options
    It's a nightmare, Isaac is getting better although I do have to keep him amused with a biscuit or raisins whilst he is in the trolley, the worst thing for me is going round shops with him in his pushchair, everything is so close to him and he is forever puling clothes off hangers of things off shelves, I blame the shops for trying to cram stuff in to tightly, It is impossible to position his pushchair so he cant reach. :lol: bedhead, if I have to take Alice and Isaac shopping now Alice refuses to get in the trolley becuase Isaac just sits there pulling her hair whilst laughing ou loud to amuse himself.
  • Options
    lol Hayley, I guess I have that to look forward to once Barney gets big enough to retaliate!
    xx
  • Options
    Louise I could have written this post myself after my horrific sunday shop at sainsbury's!

Joshua has never had a tantrum like it- he was sitting in the trolley all happy and babbling away and then it was like someone had flipped a switch and he just turned into a devil child! The screaming was horrendeous, the coughing (cos obviosuly he then pretended to choke) was awful, then came the snot! I took him out of the trolley and thought id try to distract him but that didnt work, so we ended up cutting the shopping short and went home cos I was really stressed out! He's so heavy so when he squirms i cant hold him!

Usually joshua is fine but I think it was cos he missed his morning nap, i know what im like when i need my sleep!

Im just praying it doesnt happen again- he's fine clothes shopping (tocuh wood) but who likes food shopping anyway unless its for cheesecake!

Good luck lovely hopefully its just a one off otherwise online is my only suggestion xxx
  • Options
    I can sympathise with all of you. My check list is 1. Has he slept and 2. Has he eaten. Both answers have to be yes before we'll set off. I try and involve James with the shopping as much as possible. I talk to him about what we're buying and, if the item is safe, I give it to him and he turns and puts it in the trolley. He loves the praise and ofted gives himself a clap for being a clever boy. I always have a packet of biscotti in my bag for emergencies though. I also try and shop in our smaller local supemarket rather than the mega stores. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies :\)

I do always make sure he's fed and slept before we go but it seems to make no odds, I actually think it's an attention thing as he loves it when complete strangers come up to him so I reckon the crafty bugger plays up to catch peoples attention lol.
    He's also a bit young yet (13 months) to get him involved but reckon this will definitely work when he's a bit older.

Anyway I did have a bit of joy yesterday when I nipped into Asda for a couple of bits. He started whinging on so I picked him a cheap book out which I propped on the trolley and this kept him happy for most of the time. Only problem is, is I can't afford a new book everytime lol.

Oh Vicky, Sainsburys cheesecake .........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!