Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what does your toddler eat on a day to day basis?

im just wondering what everyone else's lo eats during the day. sam isnt a big eater (18 months) and sometimes i do worry about him (he was on my scales this morning and he weight 1st 12lbs :lol: i dunno if thats a good weight? :lol: ) he usually has something like this

breakfast - bottle of milk 9oz (he still really loves his bottle in the morning, but he can go without) and a bowl of coco pops or honey nut loops and then a piece of toast with butter.

lunch - he only eats a few bites of lunch most days, he has stuff like pasta, ravioli, cottage pie etc and then after lunch he gets 2 yogs and a biscuit

fruit for snack, he loves apples and can eat about 2 whole ones in a day lol, he might get a couple of crisps as well and also a couple of bits of cut up cheese (im obsessed with him getting loads of calcium in him lol)

dinner - he sometimes eats half his dinner, most times he doesnt. he just has what we have, his fave is tuna pasta bake and thats the only meal he will properly eat, and then he has his 2 yogs again, sometimes if we are having it, he will have jelly and angel delight or a tiny bit of choc cake (which he scoffs down lol)

for drink he has his orange diluting juice or might let him have a fruit shoot as he loves them but i limit them as they are full of e numbers etc.

just wondering what everyone elses lo eats? i sometimes feel my lo doesnt eat enough but hopefully someone can reassure me its just a phase :lol:

[Modified by: iloverocknroll99 on 23 April 2009 09:28:53 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi
    my little boy will be 19months next week and his general diets goes like this:

wake up - bottle (still loves one too)

Breakfast
    2 x toast with either peanut butter, dairylea or jam followed by some fruit

snack - raisins or bread sticks with dip or biscuit

lunch - sandwich with crisps or cheese on toast or noodles with tomato sauce followed by yoghurt or more fruit

tea - chicken or fish with vegetables, or homemade pizzas with homemade oven chips / fish pie or cottage pie (not keen on cooked meals like this at the moment tho!!) followed by some sort of dessert

snack - fruit or a gingerbread man

after bath he has a big beaker of "pink milk" like lola and maybe a biscuit

Somedays he can eat loads and others hardly anything, I try not to worry as he's still putting on weight but couldn't tell you what he is at mo as haven't had him weighed in few months but he's always been a small boy as he was only 5lb 4oz when born

hope this helps
  • Options
    Lily's a fussy eater and doesn't actually eat much anyway 'cos she's only little and petite (she's 18 months). Her fussiness does infuriate me, but we're working on it. I'm still making her separate meals because she won;t eat what we eat, if it's too lumpy she won't eat it. She refuses sandwiches and other soft foods but happily eats toast and other crunchy finger foods.
    For breakfast she has fruit puree and a yogurt and a handful of dried cereal (she won't eat cereal with milk on). Occasionally she'll have a bit of toast, but at the most this has only ever been half slice.
    Dinner is her biggest meal, which'll consist of something like cottage pie, pasta bolognese, fish pie, vegetables in cheese sauce, chicken casserole. This will be followed by either fruit puree or a yogurt and a few Organix crunchy snacks.

Tea is similar to dinner, but smaller portions and sometimes she'll hardly have anything for tea except a biscuit or a couple of crisps.

She's never really hungry enough for snacks, but if we think she's hungry she'll have Organix snacks (tomato slices are her favourite), breadsticks or biscuits.

She drinks loads of diluted juice or water out of a beaker, but will only take her milk out of a bottle. She still has 3 bottles (mid morning, mid-morning and bedtime) a day as she enjoys her milk (refuses cow's milk so still on Apatmil follow on).
    Feeding a toddler sure is hard work! Well feeding a fussy one is hard work.
  • Options
    Zachariah eats about the same as sam but as far as apples go he'd have about half of one and prefers banana he's 17mth and I weighed him last week at 1st10 - I wouldn't say he was a particularly small baby though. He still loves milk and has it throughout the day although we've just introduced fruit shoots which seem to be going down well

Wake up - little milk
    Brakfast- weetabix or readybrek and if he refuses he'll have a banana
    Lunch- shep pie / scrambled egg/ soup usually something cooked as not a fan of sarnies and dessert a muller star yog or jelly
    Dinner- cooked meal usually what we have and again yog or jelly

Snacks are rich tea biscs bananas yoghurt or just milk

I'm not too worried if he doesn't eat as he makes it up the following day usually: also when he was I'll I was told to just give him milk and I was worried at the end of the week he still want eating. The dr told me they can go about a month without food because of all the baby fat so I wouldn't worry too much
  • Options
    My lo is 15months, starts her day off with around 150ml milk, isnt huge breakfast fan so recently its been a box of raisins and a cheese string, lunch is usually chicken of some sort (curry's her fave), and fruit pot or yog, tea is usually pasta in sauce, and yog, then 210ml milk before bed!x

[Modified by: Pinklemonade on April 23, 2009 04:45 PM]

• Options
    Jessica is just 2 and she is also a bit of a fussy eater! It seems to go in phases though where some weeks she'll wolf everything down and other weeks she'll barely eat anything and will refuse things she's had loads of time with her favourite phrase 'don't like it'! She also has refused to drink milk unless mixed with something fairly strong tasting like smoothie or on cereal - follow on or cows milk since about 15 months so I also try and get calcium into her any which way I can!

She typically has:

Breakfast - either weetabix or ready break with milk & mashed up banana, cup of half smoothie half milk

snack - either fruit or organix cereal bar & water or watered down fresh orange juice

lunch - sandwich or crumpet usually with cheese and tomato or ham/chicken. cherry tomatoes, lots of fruit - grapes & blueberries usually, water to drink

snack - carton of smoothie and biscuit (if she didn't have one in morning, sometimes just the smoothie)

tea - pasta and ella organics sauce or sausage or fish fingers/burger/other meat, mash, peas & carrots or cheesy fish pie. she won't eat mince which is really annoying! Yoghurt & fruit for pudding.

Before bed - half and half smoothie & milk

Jess is 2 and only weights 1st 9 but is on the 25th centile so I have stopped worrying about her weight!
  • Options
    Paul is 16 months and can be quite fussy, but my mum always reminds me that his tummy is only the size of his fist so eating small meals and lots of healthy snacks are good.

paul has something like

breakfast: 7oz milk, cereal (1 weetabix or handfull of shreddies) toast with marmite/jam and maybe few rasberries or banana - he won't eat all this but most of it

snack - fruit like banana or rasberries

lunch: either sandwich or meal like pasta or something and yogurt

snack - yogurt or breadsticks or toast and 7oz milk

tea: meal like spag bol, curry and rice or cottage pie he and cake or custard or something

7 or 8 oz milk
  • Options
    Ellie is 18 months and has this for her days eating
    breakfast - a weetabix and half a slice of toast with a glass of apple juice
    lunch- beans on toast and a yogurt
    tea- chips/potato with veg, chicken or sausages
    supper- baby cereal with yogurt
    snacks are raisins, grapes, cheese or the odd time some crisps and chocolate when she has been very good!
    She is only 21lb weight but is tall for her age so looks very thin but will eat anything except eggs as they make her gag but she just dosnt eat much of anything so who knows what goes on in their tummys! x
  • Options
    I think it sounds as though your lo is eating just fine. They do tend to go through phases of being fussy and eating next to nothing to eating like they have hollow legs, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Kade is 19 months and dairy & egg allergic so it quite tough for us but this is his typical diet:

1/4 pint of soy milk upon waking

Breakfast - 1 weetabix with mashed banana or a fruit pot followed by a slice of fruit toast (which he rarely finishes) or an avacado mashed with banana.

Mid morning - 1/4 pint soy milk followed by a biscuit.

Lunch - Tuna pasta or ravioli with some kind of meat. Sometimes he'll have beans on toast or fish fingers & spaghetti bolog. This is usually followed with a soya yogurt and some finger food.

Mid afternoon - Fruit such as grapes, raisens or apple etc.

Tea - Anything always served with vegetables & potatoes. (chicken stew, salmon, beef stew, lasagne etc)
    Usually followed by a soya dessert or banana & custard etc.

Bedtime - 1/4 pint of soy milk. (we need to make sure he gets calcium lol)

Drinks in-between are diluted sugar free juice.

Like I say, sometimes he wolfs the lot, other times he picks willy nilly. They are definitely all different but it sounds like your lo is eating fine to me image

• Options
    Sounds good to me too. My HV said to me once that toddlers dont need as much food as most parents think to sustain them and it is very rare for a toddler to go without food for a long time for the sake of it.

xxxx
  • Options
    That sounds like a good amount to me, leo is 19 months and he eats

7 am wake up 9 oz bottle of milk (still really loves his milk) banana or toast

10am breakfast as he wont eat much when he wakes bowl of cereal with cows milk

12 pm snack fruit or biccie

2pm lunch sandwich, dairylea dunker, crisps yog or fruit something like that but i find if he has a light lunch he eats his tea better

4pm snack again same as above

6pm tea tuna pasta, chicken and potatoes or what we are having, then pud either a yog or custard or jelly

7.30pm more milk then 8pm bed
    vikki xx