Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sugar

I've been thinking I'm sure my lo eats way too much sugary food. He has usually 1 chocolate bar (small) and 1 ice lolly a day...On bad days he has more than that. If he's at his nans im sure he eats his body weight in Malted milks. We do eat fruit but it's usually for snacks. Lo loves fruit and vegetables and will even eat things like cabbage and sprouts. He actually prefers veg to any other bit of his meal and will invariably leave most of the food except the veg. But ice creams / chocolate / biccies are a real weakness for him and he does ask for them. Any ideas for healthy swaps that aren't boring? I'm not sure an apple will suffice if he's after a lolly!! I'm going to offer him only fruit as snacks in the day and maybe some jelly after tea. Less fatty than ice cream. Any other ideas for tasty puddings. I'm not worried about his weight as he's 28lb at 27 months and is still in some 12-18 trousers, hasnt got an oz of fat etc - more worried about his teeth x

Replies

• Options
    I've often thought about this myself. Charlotte gets lots of fruit & veg at nursery (2 days a week) and I nearly always do veg with her tea & like your lo it's the first bit to go from the plate. But she does love crisps, chocolate & biscuits. She'll get 5 or 6 skips with her lunch & a couple of malted milks before tea. She has a yoghurt for dessert usually or if I've baked a cake she'll have a small piece of that. Occassionally she'll have buttons or a milkybar.

My husband is always giving her snacks though, chocolate, crisps, even fry ups! I never know what is the right amount or the wrong amount!!