Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Temper tantrums

I have got two children lily 10 months and thomas 23 months, Thomas has just started throwing tantrums and although i try to ignore a lot of things he has started hitting kicking and throwing things at his sister which i cant ignore, anyone please help

Replies

• Options
    i think you have to not give them attention when they have a tantrum just let them know that when they calm down you can talk to them about it, leave the room if you have to. but if they are being violent you have to remove them from the situation, i used to sit mine on the couch, would pick him up put him on the couch, tell them what they did and that they have to sit they for 2 mins. hayley carry on playing with his sister while he's in time out and let him know that he can play too after his time if he says sorry and can be nice again x.
  • Options
    Hi there, My son went through a really bad phase of temper tantrums between 12-18 months that were usually at there worst when we took him on a day out (zoo etc) cause he didn't want to be lead around, think it was to do with finding his feet. I always walked away and he screamed even louder and everyone used to give me funny looks, but he eventually noticed his little paddy's werent getting him anywhere and he hardly ever has them now. amy x
  • Options
    my lo has just started having them he's 18 months - what a nightmare, i think he's too young for the naughty step though, don't think he'd understand, at the moment i'm just trying to distract him, this usually works, but it is getting harder. i'm thinking of buying the supernanny book for some tips. anyone got this? any good?
  • Options
    Cathy,

I havent got the supernanny book but I love her methods. We started using the naughty step with our lo when she was around 20 months & I was surprised at how quickly she caught on.

The only thing I would say is I think its a good idea to use a reward chart along side the naughty step so that you are also rewarding good behaviour & not just punishing bad.

Even if they dont catch on immediately it doesnt seem to take them long

Good Luck

Hilary x
  • Options
    hi there, my son is 3 yrs old and has a tantrum at least twice a day. i didnt find the naughty step helped us at all so instead i sit him on the ground and it literally takes about a minute for him to calm down and say sorry. its just trial and error to find something that works for your child.