Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

time out

hi, my daughter is coming 3 in may, and shes at the stage now were she wont listen 2 me or do as shes told, if i ask her to do something she will either smirk at me or just walk away, when oh speaks to her she rolls over and does anything he says, i was thinking of trying a naughty chair, because i keep giving her negative attention i know im doing it but cant help myself, he thinks she doesnt need it but hes not the one banging his head against a brick wall. do you think im over-reacting, HELP. thanks.:\?

Replies

• Options
    no not at all my little girl is exactly the same for me but as soon as daddy speaks thats it she does it , ok at the moment coz he's working from home but she has no respect for me at all i use the naughty step and this does work, when you tell her off get right down to her level and make sure she looks at you but don't shout. put her on the step for as many minutes as her age i.e 2 years= 2 minutes.
    you will probably find she won't stay there at first but if she moves don't say anything just pick her up and put her back until shes done her time, you'll find it will take a while but persevere it does work, as for your husband do it anyway she needs to learn respect for you and he has to see that if your the main carer it is your decision. good luck just ask if you need anything....anita xx
  • Options
    yeah i do the same as anita and it has really worked as soon as time out is mentoned she soon starts to behave herself!i use the bottom step
  • Options
    thanks for your replies, it doesnt make me feel like a monster, that is all it is she knows i will let her away with a lot more than daddy, im the one thats with her all day also have a baby so would like house to be a bit calmer, i do find myself screaming at her which isnt fair shes only a child at the end of the day, i do notice that when im calm she will do more. am going to give it a go thanks. karen.
  • Options
    Try and give yourself stages so you can always go one step further. like
    step one - ask her - please can you pick that up.
    If this is ignored then

Step two - tell her - If you don't pick that up you will have to go to your room/ naughty step (or whatever punishment you choose)

Step three - the second chance - Are you going to pick it up? OR i'm going to count to three and i want it picked up please 1...2...3

if she picks it up go to step six without the command or just give praise for being a good girl and listening to mummy

Step four - punishment - you haven't done as you have been asked you are now going to your room. If at this point she kicks off follow step five

Step five - don't argue - carry her if neccesary but don't talk

Step six - the command and cuddle - Now are you going to pick it up for me? If yes and she does say thank you for being a big/good girl and then have a cuddle.

If no - say then you will have to stay there then or if she is still kicking off say she can come out when she has finished repeat as necessary.

hope this helps

if you go straight to punishment you have no leverage for getting her to cooperate with you if you can repeat stages she will know eventually theres no avoiding what wants doing and always get her to finish the task otherwise there will be know reinforcement of why she has just been punished. then always forget it slate wiped clean xx

[Modified by: suziejayne on March 29, 2007 12:00 AM]