Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Yelling & Screaming

Why has my normally lovely lil boy suddenly taken to screaming his head off!?!?

He's almost 17months now and has just taken to screaming a high pitched scream for no reason other than getting my attention (i think). It's seriously doing my trolley in cause he knows it winds me up. I have tried ignoring him but he does it more. If I respond to him he quietens then as soon as I go back to whatever I'm doing he does it all the more!
I'm not quite sure how to deal with this? I thought ignoring was the way to go but it really doesn't help? I sometimes try to distract but he's clever and knows so just pushes whatever it is I'm trying to distract him with and continues screaming. It's my attention he wants!

What do I do??

Replies

• Options
    Sorry Im not at this stage yet it sounds like a nightmare!! Maybe keep trying to ignore it, give it maybe say a week of just ignoring it and see if he stops? Sorry I wasnt much help, Im sure some of the other ladies will know the best way to deal with it xxx
  • Options
    Sorry Im not at this stage yet it sounds like a nightmare!! Maybe keep trying to ignore it, give it maybe say a week of just ignoring it and see if he stops? Sorry I wasnt much help, Im sure some of the other ladies will know the best way to deal with it xxx
  • Options
    Oh my god Louise!! !Poppy has being doing exactly the same for a couple of weeks now and it's infuriating isn't it?!! I just ignore her and then she'll come over to me and say 'hug' cos she knows I'm not happy with her!! I know she doesn't really understand but I also tell her I'll talk to her when she's quiet and sometimes it works!!
    xx
  • Options
    Must be September babies because Kara is the same age as Kade and Poppy and she is exactly the same. She squeals with an awful high pitch noise. If you join in with her she gets louder and louder and tries to get louder than you. Ignoring doesn't work with us either. They are so smart they know how to get our attention.
  • Options
    Isaac is exactly the same, he has now gone on to screaming a high pitched scream in temper too, it really feels like it is going to burtst your ears, the only thing you can do is try to ignore it, easier said than doen I know. Must admit when Isaac does it in temper I laugh which actually doesnt help at all and just makes him do it all the more :roll:
  • Options
    Yep, same here!

Joshua has started doing it when we put him to bed, it does my head in! I have to stay with him and chat to him then quietly walk away otherwise he screams so loudly and fake cries!

Another thing I hate is the getting in the pram tantrum! He goes as stiff as a board and almost growels at me! Sometimes he's fine but if I let him out to walk he wont go back in unless I bribe him (yes naughty mummy I bribe) with bisc which is his organix oat cakes! Sometimes though I can get away with the bribe without actually giving him any cos he gets distracted! xxx
  • Options
    Ooo glad it's not just me then! so anyone who's lo's are not far off this age, you have it all to look forward to. :lol:

Lol Vicky, we only made the mistake of getting him out to have a walk once as you would have thought we were murdering him when we tried to get him back in!. Needless to say we haven't tried it again yet.
    Hmmm bribing sounds like a good option to me image