Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

counting to 10...then onwards

Charlotte's been doing this all by herself for a couple of weeks now. She was counting with help for a while and then just does it on her own now.

Now she's mastered it I'm not sure whether we should try and teach her 11-20 or do you think it is too much for now? I don't want to push her but she seems to have mastered 1-10 quite quickly.

She also counts 3-2-1 backwards then shouts "DING" - think it's from the microwave when I heat her milk up at night (for longer than 3 seconds though)!! image

Replies

• Options
    i'm not sure as I tried this with Shea and I don't know if I confused him as he seems to have gone a step backwards and completley forgot his numbers!!!

He was counting to ten fine and now he goes 1, 6,4,5,3,8 things like that!!
    I'm not sure if its dropped out of his head or he's just being awkward and refusing to say his numbers properly!!
  • Options
    I know this is slightly o/t but how old are your los? I have no idea when they are supposed to start grasping numbers and the like...
  • Options
    I'm gatecrashing as I saw this on the homepage but I would say before you do 11-20 or at the same time, try teaching her the concept of what each number is, counting out things, sorting things into piles etc to give her a concept of what numbers mean (sorry I'm an early years teacher and you may not want to do this as it could be too much pressure, I'm going to have to restrain myself when mine is born!)

K 25+3
  • Options
    The English language is pants for this...all the other numbers make sense. twenty one, twenty, two etc there is a very clear pattern but 11 -20 are a real pain! (If I had my way.... 11 would be tenty one, 12 tenty two etc)!

Personally I would go 11, 12 next and when she has mastered these go 13 - 20.
  • Options
    Jellytots - you have a very good point there. Was talking to the nursery staff today and they said to do number recognition first for 1-10 before doing anymore.
  • Options
    Lily is only just learning 11-20 and she finds it quite tough. Evie (nearly 22 months) is just learning to count now, she can do 1-3 and then copies the rest from me or Lily.

I play a little game with Lily using my fingers and saying 'if I have one sheep, and then one more comes along, how many sheep are there?' and she can answer these and finds it fun. I think it's just helping her to grasp what numbers mean.

xxx
  • Options
    same as jellytots, make sets of numbers, 3 cubes, 2 spoons etc. so she can see the number. count out lots of sets of 3 ,5, 2 etc.
  • Options
    Lily counts to 10 and she counts backwards from 10 as well. We haven't gone any further yet as like others have said we want to make sure she understands counting. So now we count our fingers and toes...she has a 'penny' purse with lots of pennies and two pences in and she counts them out or in too as practise. She has a number jigsaw and she recognises 1,2,3 so far. She is 20 months nearly.x
  • Options
    Get her to recognise the number and the amount like jelly tot says. I find that is the hardest concept recognisng that they have 5 cars and that is what the number 5 means. You can make it fun. Lily can count 1,23 forwards and backwards and she can get me that number of things. I think she has watched show me show me so much it's starting to rub off on her!
  • Options
    Gabe doesn't count yet, he's 21 months. Well he does copy sometimes 1,2,3 but it all sounds quite similar so i'm not really sure. I think 1-10 is really positive, I was shocked when I found out other lo's counted and thought mine was behind lol as I didnt think they did this till they were 2.5/3+. xx
  • Options
    But like others have said, it isn't really counting as such - it's more copying than anything else. Poppy can count to 15 and say her full alphabet but it doesn't mean she knows what she's talking about other than learning parrot fashion. She knows she has 2 eyes etc but if I ask her to give me 2 (example) sweets I still only get one or loads more than I've asked for.
    I think after they can 'count' to 10, you should teach them to actually count things out - that is much harder than getting them to recite numbers 1-10.
    xx