Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Movin My 23Month Old 2 A Bed, Any Advice?

Hey all,
im finally ready to move my son in a bed ive been puttin it off for some reason i really dont no why ive been confident changing all the other stages that you go through but im just hesitating and i dont really no why, ive gone out and bought a tomy bed guard and im thinkin about whether to get a fabric baby gate for his doorway so i dont have to keep shutting his door or let him go out into the hall. has anyone got any advice or tips that could be useful im planning to move him within the next few days he has always been an excellent sleeper so im hopeing all will go well
x x x x x x x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Laurajayne

I moved my 22mth old daughter into a big bed at around 20mths. We took her out shopping for her bed & let her pick her own bedlinen (within reason) & bought her a new special teddy that would only sleep in big bed. I dont have a gate on her bedroom door though I did intend to but just didnt get around to it but found I didnt need it anyway. Like your little boy she has always been a good sleeper & I was concerned that by moving her into a big bed we could upset everything but she was no trouble at all. We also got her a tomy bedguard & the day the bed arrived she had great we had great fun setting it up & making her new bed. She was so newfangled by the whole thing that by the time bedtime came around she was out like a light & slept so soundly. I can honestly say she hasnt looked back & doesnt miss her cot in the slightest. Everyone that came to visit our house had to be taken up to see "big bed".
    I hope that has been some help to you & let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

Good Luck
    Hilary
    x
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev329pfs__.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20051010_-8_AMY+IS.png

• Options
    My daughter is 2y 5m. ive been tryign to move her into a bed for months but she just screams and sobs her heart out. She has only just started to let me lower the site of ehr cot at nitetimes

Hope u lil boy settles ok in a bed laurajayne x
  • Options
    A good trick that someone told me was if you have a child that keeps rolling out of bed then roll 2 towels up length ways and put them under the matteress on each side so that if they roll it harder to roll up hill! lol :\)
  • Options
    Thatsa great tip wenders. I must try to remember that one for the future. I don't know how true this is & I know every child is different but somone told me that the longer you leave it after 2 yr old to put them into a big bed the harder it is for thm to adjust because they start to get attached to their cot.

Hilary
    x

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20051010_-8_AMY+IS.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev329pfs__.png

• Options
    i put my little girl into a bed at exactly the same age as you are and it went without a hitch,in fact for the first time ever she slept 7-7 and is now 4 and has done so ever since!!i used a tomy bedguard tho she was so wriggly i did find her wedged between the bottom of the bed and the wardrobe as she had wriggled all the way dowm and out the bottom-no lasting damage tho!!good luck hun x
  • Options
    my son was 26 months when i put him in a bed and the first night he was so excited he just went straight to sleep then the next few nights he would get straight up a few times but we just took him back to bed saying "it's time to sleep now, c u in the morning" he soon got the message. i wouldn't close the door coz he would get scared when he couldn't open it and i liked the fact he could come to me in the night if he needed me. didn't use a safety gate either, as i said they soon learn to stay in bed!!
  • Options
    Our daughter in 23months and we are just in the process of decorating her bedroom to move her into a "big bed" she loves getting in ours under the covers so am hoping she will be as good in her own. have a feeling tho she will get straight up & spend all night playing her her toys then fall asleep on the floor ha ha - thanks for all the tips tho i will print them all out to use when the time comes in the next month or so.
  • Options
    hi all
    Im about to move my lo into a bed as he is 2 in Dec and new babe due in Feb so feel time is right. Bought a bed guard the other day and waiting for new Postman Pat bedding and curtans to arrive. Had to order on internet as not available locally. Some good advice on this post and I will try some of it.
    All the best to you all!
    meg
  • Options
    Good luck megmum, hope everything goes smoothly. Let me know how you get on

Hilary x
  • Options
    Hi Ladies, thought id let you all know that i moved my lo on saturday night and he has be excellent so far he goes straight to sleep without gettin out once which is a miracle lol! cant believe it!. he does love bedtime though.he has made me laugh so much as he is still waiting for me to come in the room in the mornin before he will get out of his bed he calls mum mum. lol its so funny. hope all goes well meg mum , thanks very much for the advice ladies x x x x
  • Options
    Hi All
    Lo spent his first night in 'big boy bed' last night and thank God he loved it! No problems, slept straight away with new postman pat bedding and bed guard. Slept right through till 7.30 which rarely happens!
    Thanks for all the great advice. Make it fun and non-scarey and they should adapt quickly.
    Meg