Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

question for 2nd time mums...

hiya

my baby is now 14 weeks old, his older brother was in his own room from about 10/12 weeks old as he was a noisy sleeper and he slept so much better.

the baby is still in our bedroom but I would like to make the move of putting him into the other bedroom with his brother, but for some reason i'm scared! lol

my older son daniel is still in a cotbed but we've also been toying with idea of changing his cot to the bed as he's 2 years old and feel it's the right time to do it. but i'm scared that if i put him in the bed then put ht ebaby in their with him then he'd just be up all night poking him in the eye or playing with his toys! or throwing a toy into the cot and hurt him. daniel also has cerebral palsy so his understanding isn't always 100% but most of th etime he's just like a 'normal' 2 year old except that he doesn't walk on his own yet.

what did you all do and how did you find it?? We do have another bedroom in the attic but i'd prefer to keep that as the guest bedroom for the time being but we could put daniel up there and put baba joe in daniel's old room...

please help! :\)

xx

Replies

• Options
    if your going to put the baby in daniel's room i wouldn't change his bed just yet, maybe once he's used to the baby being there, then your less likely to have problems. my l/o shares with his 4 year old bro. and i was worried that he'd be up all night playing with his toys or trying to wake him up put he never has! (i've probably cursed that now!! lol!)
  • Options
    I did keep our girls apart until lo was 8 months, but my older daughter was only 19 months when lo was born. All for the same reasons as you. I put lo in with her sister, and her sister did exactly as I feared and heaped toys and blankets in on top of her. Also I had problems with my older daughter climbing into the cot and taking the clothes off lo. I'd come into find lo screaming and cold, and my older daughter happily dressing her teddy bears in lo clothes. I moved them apart again, and tried again once lo was 11 months and walking. They have enjoyed it ever since as lo was big enough to stand her ground, and just tosses anything she doesn't want out of her cot. My older daughter has matured enough that she seems to get that lo's clothes are for lo, and I removed any extra toys and made my hubby's office into their toy room. Tough for hubby, but bedtime has become a world of easier. This was just my experience though, I think it will be different for every child and every age gap.
  • Options
    My little girl will be 2 next month & we moved her into a big bed when she as 20mths as we needed to free up the cot for the new baby which is due in nov. She was so taken with her new bed that she hasnt once missed her cot but we wanted to make the move in plenty time incase she thought the baby had taken it.
    We are having another little girl & or plan is for them to share a room, as we only live in a 3 bedroom house &would like1 or 2 more children, but I dnt plan to movethem together until the youngest is around 1 & sleep is well established.
    I think you know your sons best & if you think they are ready to move in together thats great though I would end to keep your eldest in his cot til they get settled together in the same room & then think about moving him into a big bed.
    Good luck wit the move

Hilary x