Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Car seats weights/age

Does anyone know what's more important, the weight of your child or the age when it comes to car seats.

I say this because it would be handy for my Mum to have a carseat in her car instead of lugging it from one to the other and strugglinfg to get it into the back of her 3 door car.

I haven' tseen the hv or had Oakley weighed since his 8 month check, but he has always been the 91st percentile. Which according to the book makes him 15 kg at his present age. Which means he could have just a foam seat, where you use the seat belt, which is very light and would be easyto use in my mums car.

Any help or advice would be good.

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

We started looking at this last week. My dd is 3 in October and is 16kg, she will be needing to move up car seat soon. We will also be wanting to use her Maxi Cosi Tobi for her little sister in a couple of months time. We went into Halfords for some advice as the weight on them starts at 15kg but some of them say age 3 or 4. The assistant tried her on the car seats but as the seat belt was on her neck rather than shoulder he said we needed to wait a couple of months. We also asked about the booster cushion type for my mums car, again he said the seatbelt would be in the wrong position even though dd is tall for her age. He also said that if she naps in the car there would be no support for her head and neck which is very dangerous in an accident - so even though by weight she could have gone in this he advised against it. We are now going to wait a couple of months and go back for more advice when she grows a bit more.

I was really pleased that they didn't try to sell us the seat for the sake of a sale and was more concerned with safety. It's not just about weight or age it's a combination of that and the child's size. I would also wait a couple of years personally before getting the foam booster cushion after what he said too.

HTH xx