Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Dentists?

My ds has all his teeth but his last molars now. Just wondering when I should start getting him checked out by the dentist. Anyone registered their toddler with a dentist yet or taken them along for a check? Or is it a bit early yet. I am sure he will be a nightmare at the dentists as he hates anyone going near his mouth! How have your LOs been?

Replies

• Options
    I registered cole when he was about 18 months but they said they didn't want to actually see him till he was 2 - they did just say to bring him to the appointments anyway. He had his first check in february when he was 26 months and after a bit of persuasion and the promise of a sticker he opened his mouth for a quick lopk. We just went on monday again for another checkup and after he watched me get done, he had a quick checkup - took a bit of persuasion again but he did open his mouth and then found it quite funny while she had a look at his teeth. ATt his stage they said all they do is a look with the mirror

• Options
    Skye (22 months and 15 teeth) is coming with me in the next few weeks when I go for my check up. They see them free of charge at my dentist (private one) until they get their first adult teeth. Taking advantage of this as my dentist is so great I'd rather she went there.
    She is registered with another NHS dentist too locally, so will probably see them at some point as don't want to lose the place!
  • Options

i registered dd when i went when she was 2 months. they made an appointment for her the same time i went and she had only just cut her first tooth. i took her again about 4 months ago had she still only had 6 teeth. the dentist doesnt check the teeth like she does with us, just has a look and feel (foolish lady dread to think howmany times she has been nipped) too see how many teeth they have. so think she has bee seen at 10 months and 18 months

• Options
    i've taken my lo with me when I've been, and they have registered him but they don't want to actually see him properly til he's 2.
  • Options
    I registered my 2 with my dentist at my first appts after their respective births. They've always come with me when I've been for check ups to get them used to it. Think they had their first check ups at about 1 ish but it was literally just a mirror in the mouth and a quick feel of their teeth. We're going tomorrow actually!!
    Xx
  • Options
    My lo is 17 months and has had an appointment alongside me the last two times I've been. It's more just to get him used to it though as he doesn't really look at much, just a quick glimpse of what teeth he has. x
  • Options
    Right better book in a check up some time and bring ds along! Will be interesting to see how they will get him to sit still and open his mouth nicely!