Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Books from childhood

I've just been updating my Amazon wishlist with some books that I want to get for Peter eventually. This includes a wonderful book called Thy Friend Obadiah which my mother read to me when I was little. We have a few of these, books that were childhood favourites. Some are well known (Peter Rabbit, Paddington Bear, Dr. Seuss) but several are less famous (such as a wonderful book called Ah, Said Stork which is a bit of legend in my family). I'm always on the lookout for book ideas so I was wondering, what are your favourite books from when you were little that you are sharing with your los? And why are they such favourites? Lists and memories, please! :\)

Replies

• Options
    I think mine would be

The Tiger who came to tea (Gabe loves this too)
    Each Peach Pear Plum (I read this a lot to Gabe when he was a baby - but it is great - good illustrations)
    Funnybones
    We're going on a bear hunt
    also A A Milne

When I was about 10/11 I had loads of Jacqueline Wilson books and still have them lol.

I think reading to kids is important. I still love to read now. I'll read anything - classics, popular books, chick lit whatever I'm in the mood for! My boss at work has let me borrow her Sue Townsend books (I read 'The secret diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4' years ago but hadnt read the newer ones) so getting through them at the moment.

I'm rambling!!! xx
  • Options
    The hungry caterpillar
    The angry ladybird
    The enormous crocodile (roald dahl)
  • Options
    Ooh, these are good, ladies! Mrs A, I had totally forgotten about Mrs Pepperpot! Thank you for the reminder. I do have a copy of My Naughty Little Sister, though. I found it in the Borders closing down sale and couldn't resist, even though Peter was all of 8 months at the time! And I agree with everyone about Roald Dalh. Something no childhood should be without.

Right, off to look at The Tiger Who Came to Tea for my wishlist. I never heard of it until I had Peter but so many people have recommended it to me that I think it will have to go on. As will Dogger, now that Shirley Hughes has been mentioned. image
  • Options
    The obvious ones that people have said

the tiger who...
    Each peach pear plum
    where the wild things are

And a couple of obscure ones

tiger pig at the circus
    balokyjokypops

I also loved Enid blyton as a child and of course roald dahl
  • Options
    Any of the Janet and Alan Albergh stories are great - the same authors as Each Peach... Also loved The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, 5 Minutes Peace and things like Stig of the Dump. Harry Potter is an essential I'm afraid - I loved it from the first book so way before it was cool to lol and Spike Milligan should be added to Roald Dahl and AA Milne as classics. Will think of more I'm sure but those spring to mind now
  • Options
    ooooh, i LOVe this one - Love You Forever - not sure hwo it's by, but I read it to Maddie once a week at least, it was read to all 5 of us kids by my mum and is the sweetest book ever! Makes me cry lol xx
  • Options
    Oooh I love books & thankfully so does Charlotte she already has a sizeable collection !

My childhood faves were the tiger who came to tea, funnybones, the worst witch and all the famous five books. Ooh & the hungry cattapiller (sp). My sisters used to love the fuzzbuzz books.
  • Options
    Oh yes, can't forget the Famous Five or Secret Seven books, and I loved the Worst Witch too. And the Narnia series. And any Dick King-Smith books (especially The Sheep Pig and Sophie's Snail). And Charlotte's Web, The Borrowers, Heidi, The Railway Children, Five Children and It, The Little Prince, and the Just So Stories (Rudyard Kipling). And Flat Stanley, The Iron Man and Tom's Midnight Garden.

I was a huuuuuge book fiend as a child, Can you tell? :lol:
  • Options
    Argh, Peter Pan!! Can't forget Peter Pan
  • Options
    I always get my sister (she's 10) booksets of books I loved. like flat stanley, roald dahl & jaqueline Wilson. I also loved Funnybones, Burglar Bill, Each Peach Pear Plum, The Jolly Postman, Winnie The Witch and as I got older my very favourite book was Carrie's War and The Owl who was Afraid of The Dark. I read Charlottes Web a few years ago at uni (I did primary education and had to do book reviews of childrens books) and loved that too.
  • Options
    i still have quite a few of the books that were mine when i was little, freya love bath waters hot (shirley hughes) and the teddy bear gardener. I hvae also brought lots of the books that i loved for my girls, like burglar bill, peepo, dogga. when i was a bit older i loved a series of books called the menims, my mum still has them all and i will read them to my girls when they are old enough. i am currently reading the roald dahl books to phoebe (5.5) she loves them.
    i also really love julia donaldson books especialy tiddler but they are all good. i brought the book of cahrlottes web the other day for phoebe but will probably wait until next year to read ot to her.
  • Options
    Oh MrsAmanda, I used to have the massively politically incorrect Little Black Sambo at my Gran's house and I loved it too! lol
    Elmer the elephant is fab and Not now Bernard! also by David McKee. And 'The Owl who was afraid of the Dark' is a classic.
    When my sister was young she read the 'Frog and Toad' books by Arnold Lobel (sp?) and I loved these so got them for my stepchildren a few years ago on Amazon. They are very simple stories but have lovely quirky phrases in them and the characters are so funny!
    Oh and not that my son or yours will be interested, I'm sure, but I used to love all the 'boarding school' type series - Mallory Towers, St Claire's, Chalet School etc - read all of them I think!
  • Options
    I use to adore The Cat In The Hat xx
  • Options
    Wow, bringing back lots of memories here~I've always loved reading! Manicmiz, you're the only other person I've ever heard mention the Chalet School books. I used to want to go there lol.Have just shocked myself at the prices these are now going for on amazon. I could've made a fortune if mum hadn't chucked my full set of them out when they moved house~tsh!! My favourite books were the Wishing Chair ones by Enid Blyton. I had all the usual suspects, going to start collecting the Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton ones for DS come Christmas time as I think he'll be old enough to appreciate them then.
  • Options
    Ooh, there are some wonderful books on here! Manicmiz, I loved Frog and Toad. Thank you for reminding me of them. And Keri-Anne, the Greene Knowe books are wonderful as well. I can't wait to introduce them to Peter.

For those of you who love Charlotte's Web, have you read Trumpet of the Swan or Stuart Little? Also by E.B. White and both wonderful. A few others I have been reminded of:
    Anything by E. Nesbit (The Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet, etc.)
    Edward Eager's books
    Anything by Joan Aiken, but mainly the Arabella and Mortimer books
    Mr Majieka
    Professor Branestawm
    Grimble and Grimble's Christmas
    Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpe Saga

Right, back off to Amazon. At least there will be plenty of choice for people who want to get him Christmas presents! image

[Modified by: TheHistoryGirl on August 23, 2010 07:24 PM]

• Options
    lol @colabottle - me too!
    And Keri-Anne, I loved white boots (and the ballet shoes one too which may have been the same author, I'm not sure but they are somehow connected in my mind!) Have never heard of Greene Knowe - am going to look them up now! Great post THG image x
  • Options
    i loved the giant jam sandwich and too many bozo's.
  • Options
    Goodnight Moon was truly my favourite book and my mum bought it for Ethan recently image x
  • Options
    Ha ha, the book person that comes to our work is selling "the Tiger that Came to Tea" with a cute little tea set, for ??7 instead of ??12.99, now I wanna buy it even though Charlie is still too young to really appreciate it !