Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Travelling and milk

We are going to a wedding on Monday and staying in a local hotel Monday night. Peter currently has a cup of whole milk (warmed) before bed and first thing in the morning. I tried giving him cold milk tonight but he took a sip, carefully shut the valve on his cup and carefully handed it back to my husband - twice. So that seems to be a no go.

I am hoping I get some warm milk from the hotel restaurant to take to the wedding in a flask to give him after dinner but I am stumped as to how to get him his milk the next morning. He often wakes up chattering and will be happy for up to half an hour but I can't be sure of that, especially as we will be in a strange place. Once he is awake and unhappy, the only thing that will comfort him is milk. We can cuddle him but he won't cheer up until he has had his milk. Our best bet is to put the cup of milk in a jug of boiling water to warm up, but it doesn't seem ideal.

Does anyone have any better ideas about how we can tackle this one? Or, indeed, any strategies for giving him his milk at the wedding? All suggestions gratefully accepted!

Replies

• Options
    Could you take powder and add it to water heated in the kettle in your hotel room?
    Otherwise when you say "cold" do you mean cold out of the fridge or room temp. Milk left out overnight might be warm enough.

Sorry I can't be more help,
    H xx
  • Options
    Sorry, should have specified. He's on cow's milk and has been for about four months, so yes, fridge cold. I'm not sure he'd take formula at this stage ...
  • Options
    I would think when you are at the wedding, the hotel staff should be able to warm a bottle of milk for you, even if they stand it in a tub of boiling water.

if you have a kettle in your hotel room you could do the same thing in the morning, just take a tub with you so you have something to stand the bottle in.
    hope this helps x
  • Options
    We stayed in a hotel when DS still only wanted warm milk and, as daft as it may sound, rang room service and ordered him some lol! They were great and it was with us within 5 mins. They never charged for it either though we would happily have paid an exorbitant cost to quieten him down!!
  • Options
    I stayed overnight at a hotel recently and had a similar problem! We didn't have anywhere to keep cows' milk cool all day as we weren't going straight to the hotel but to the wedding first. I took cartons of UHT formula but she wasn't interested in them, even heated up with water from the kettle in our hotel room.

In the end we went to breakfast early and got milk from the buffet which we warmed up on those hotplate things.

Will you be checking into your hotel room before the wedding, and will it have a mini bar? Could put milk in there and warm up with kettle next morning if so?

As Little Sa says I would hope that the hotel staff would be kind enough to provide and warm up milk, anyway. Maybe phone ahead and ask?

Sorry if that's patronising, expect you've thought of it all already.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, ladies. Yes, we are checking in before the wedding, so hopefully can sort something out then. I have no idea if there is a minibar in the room, but we are taking milk down with us in our cool bag and will see if they can heat some up to put in a flask. (Unfortunately the wedding isn't at a hotel and I have no idea what sort of catering facilities the venue has - if it is anything like the place we got married, heating milk up on site would be possible but problematic).

I think I'll ask at the desk about room service in the morning. ColaBottle, it sounds like a great hotel you stayed at! Otherwise, I think we'll take a jug and go for boiling water in the jug or sink (thanks for that tip, MrsAmanda). God, this was all so much easier when he was still breastfed!