Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bottles ARGHH

Hey ladies well i need some help, i am in for some stick but i am thick skinned (well fat lol) so think i can take it!!

My older Lo is 32 months and STILL has a bottle, and i dont mean just for bed or just for milk!! She is a nightmare, she wont drink out of anything else and god knows i have tried!! It is my own fault for letting her have juice in when she was a baby!! and rest assured i have learned from my mistakes! the twins only have water and occasionally juice from a CUP!!

Anyway, getting back to the point, i spoke to HV about it as i hate her having a bottle and refuse to allow her to have it when we are out and about but she insists on drinking only from a bottle at home, nanny's house or in the car!! HV said to give all of her bottles to the easter bunny and then DO NOT give in, so we went through all of this she chose a new big girl cup herself which has a sports straw top, and she still wont!! She went 9 HOURS without a drink because she wanted her bottle and in the end i gave in as i was worried she would dehydrate!!

PLEASE HELP WHAT CAN I DO???? :x

Replies

• Options
    You should have just carried on children are not silly she would not dehydrate the same thing as children that dont eat wont starve themseleves should have just carried on but as u have gave in once it will be harder just be strong. sorry if this sounds a bit harsh just the way i found works hope this helps
  • Options
    Would a reward chart work? Or possibly just replacing one drink a day at a time with the big girl cu p?

good luck
  • Options
    i am starting to feel the same. My lo is 17 months and i know if i dont get her off bottles soon i will have a nightmare on my hands. She has a cup for water which she sometimes takes sips out of and i mean literally sips. If i dare to put milk in the cup she wont even try it and cries until i switch the cup for a bottle. God, how do other people do it. I am worried that if i take her bottles away she simply wont drink milk anymore. Do 17 month olds still need a lot of milk? Maybe i give her too much, she has about 20oz of milk per day. Sorry i cant help, only add to the misery!!! lol
  • Options
    Erm..this is probably a bad thing to do and certainly wasn't intentional but cole started showing an interest in my chocolate milkshake so instead of feeding him bits off a spoon i put it in a sippy cup for him and he drank it. did this for a few weeks and then thought well if he can drink choccy milk from a sippy cup he can damn well drink milk from a nuby cup so tried him again and he's been fine! Still give him chocolate milkshake in a sippy cup on saturdays though but prefer the nuby cup for milk normally as he makes less mess that way!
  • Options
    well i thought i would have had this problem but when we went on holiday last year jack had hand foot and mouth and couldnt drink from his bottle for a whole week so when we got back we just binned them and he has a special cow cup which is only for milk .....we are going to have the same battle as u with jacks dummy :roll:
    could u maybe bribe with a choccy button (just 1)every time he drinks from a big cup ..or just say bottle is for bed and can only be given at bed time and dont give in ,if he wants it he has to go to bed with it??

sorry not much help xxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    thanks ladies, well we were going to wait till monday then go for it but...................... NO BOTTLE ALL DAY!! all on her own, i bought her another cup today a dora flask and she loves it she has even gone to bed without a bottle of milk, so the bottles have gone in the bin tonight, so wish me luck!!