Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stopping the boob tap!

At grand age of 14 and a half months Hugo has tonight gone to bed with a cup of cow's milk!

He has been on just one evening boob for a couple of weeks now and would eat for only a few minutes, so I thought it might be a good time to stop!

OOOOOHHHH how I will miss it, I doubt he will care much tough!

Any ideas of how my boobies will be feeling in the next few days? As i said he s been eating just a few mins in the evening from one boobie .... they never get full anymore ...

Hope they wont go all painful image

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Replies

• Options
    I should think if you've cut down gradually, you won't get too much discomfort! Maybe feeling a tad engorged for a day or so.

My ds1 stopped just like that, overnight, and it was v painful for a few days, but ds2 cut down 1 feed at a time (both at about a year old) and I can't remember that being painful at all.

I really really want to stop bf my 23mths dd now - I have loved it but I'm ready to stop. I actually want my boobs back! She still uses it as a comfort though, and demands it several times a day - so I think I'm gonna have problems.....

Hope it goes well for you!

Mx
  • Options
    congratulations on getting to 14months.
    I stopped at 13 mths with my lo. I dropped the evening feed, followed by the mornbing feed and the middle of the day just went as she took cows milk first thing in teh morning. I dont remember my boobs being painful.

Im guessing that if they never get full, you shouldnt get any pain.
  • Options
    just want to say that you should be extremely proud of yourself hun! WELL DONE!! xxxx
  • Options
    Thanks, am very proud of self!

Today the boobies re feeling a bit fuller, but not painful or anything, hope it just dries up pretty quick :P
  • Options
    hi hun, well done for getting to 14 months!! thats really good!
    your boobies should be ok as he was only having one feed a day, my dd1 was only on 1 feed a day when i stopped with her and i ddint have any probs.
    i am thinking about stopping my 20 month old, but like mims's lo she uses it for comfort, normaly she will have just morning or eveing feeds, but when she is ill or some thing has upset her that is the first thing that she wants. also she is a very early riser and thing between 4 and 6 am and bf helps me get that little bit longer in bed inthe morning! but this could go on for ever! so im just working up to courage to stop. xx
  • Options
    My 14 month old has done exactly the same thing tonight - he's only been having an evening feed for a while but he's started nipping me and refusing after a few sucks so i gave him some milk in a cup (which he's used to as he has it for brekkie) and off he went! So i guess that's it! A bit sad about it really, don't know if i'll ever do it again! Has been a fab experience so i am also hoping for a pain free ending!! Hope you're not to uncomfortable too xxx
  • Options
    hi,

My lo went down to just an evening feed at 12 months as she wasn't really interested in that feed anymore.

At 15 months I stopped the evening feed as she was barely feeding from one side and just had a little from the other.

I felt a tiny bit uncomfortable about a week later but that also coincided with my period.

Now, about a month later I can still hand express some milk - I haven't tried to see how much though . . .

Well done for bf'ing for so long - definitely something to feel proud of image
  • Options
    When I dropped the morning feed down to just the bedtime feed when my lo was 14 months old, I did get quite engorged and always did when I dropped the other feeds as well.
    However when my lo turned 18months I finally felt ready to stop and managed to finish his bedtime feeds completely last week! ( But he now has water at bedtime as he wont drink milk!) I was feeding him on both sides and I didn't or haven't, more like, had any engorgement or pain just experienced slightly plump boobies for the past week which are now deflating, unfortunately...lol.
    I'm sure yours will be fine ;\)
    Well done for 14 months of bfing! x