Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Books

Hi Ladies

My little girl is 15mths and I want to buy her some new books for christmas but not sure what to get her. Her favourite book at the moment is Dear Zoo. What books do your lo's like?

Thanks

Danielle

Replies

• Options
    Oscar loves any books that make noise. He did get a book called Gallop! for his birthday that has pictures that move on each page - kind of hard to explain lol. It's by Rufus Butler Seder and worth trying to find as it's lovely x
  • Options
    A lady after my own heart! lol. I love books for children, and my lo really enjoys his books. We have loads, and we go to the library regularly too.

My lo is 21 months, and he really likes Dear Zoo as well. Books similar to that are Buster's Day, Buster's Birthday, Noisy Farm and Oh Dear (all by Rod Campbell, the author of Dear Zoo).

Other favourite lift the flap books are Maisy's Big Flap Book, Fun on the Farm and No Bed without Ted (one of my favourites!).

He still likes the Baby Touch books (likes Squeaky Book and Noisy Book), but they aren't story books, if you're after more of a story.

Favourite story books are The Very Hungry Caterpillar, We're Going on a Bear Hunt, Peepo, Each Peach Pear Plum, Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki, Fix It Duck , Where's My Teddy.

Favourite noisy books are the ones from Noisy Animals (Usbourne), and the Noisy Noisy range from Ladybird (lo particularly likes Woof and Moo).

If you'd like more suggestions, let me know x
  • Options
    Hugo is 14 months, and not very keen to have us reading to him or even have him sit on our lap and look through a book? He likes to do it on his own and also to try and tear them up a bit image

Any ideas how I could get him more interested in listening to us read?
  • Options
    What about trying to engage him visually as well as audibly? So for example reading him a story about animals and having the animals in the story as finger puppets so that if the duck is saying something in the story, you wiggle the finger the duck puppet is on and do a duck voice?! Ikea do cheap finger puppets, but I would've thought you could get them anywhere. I find that lo listens much more to be if I adopt silly voices for the different characters and vary my tone.

Will Hugo play with noisy or touchy feely books? When lo was Hugo's age, he would flick through books on his own very happily, but they were always tactile books (the That's Not My .... series were favourites, and as well we the noisy books I suggested, he has always loved the books that are ??5 each at M&S with the noises. They do Wheels on the Bus, Old MacDonald, Incy Wincy Spider etc). We do all the actions whilst 'reading' the books. I am such a kid!

I think lo is a bit of a geek! Lol. Every child is different and comes to different activities at different stages. I am sure Hugo will like to look at books with you in the future, and he's still really little to have an attention span for looking through books. My lo likes to tear books too, so the only books I buy now are board books, and some of the less sturdy flap books that we have (I find that the flaps on the Spot books aren't strong enough for a toddler) are full of sticky tape. I don't buy any pop up books anymore as they get completely destroyed and you can't expect anything less! I buy nearly all of lo's books on Amazon, or online with the Book People or Red House as they can be cheaper.
  • Options
    Hello,
    My lo is 18months and only in the last few months has she started to sit doewn with a book and not attempt to rip them. She still wont sit long enough for a story so we dont ahve paper books at the moment.

As well as dear zoo, she loves looking at the very hungry caterpill. My mum brought her it with teh caterpillar toy. Her other favourite book is the Usborne animal hide and Seek. Its a board book so no rippling pages. It has textures as she still likes touchy feel books. and flaps which tends to be the next stage in their development. It also can be used as a couting book as the number of animals increase as you go through teh book. 1st page 2 cows, 2nd page 3 pigs etc. I also do the animal noises as we go through the book.
    Shes also liking the noisy animal usborne book too. Sometimes I have them both open together as the pictures are the same.
    Another favourite is a large flap book called goosie and friends.

foxoo - tbh los develop at different stages and when your los ready he will sit down with you. I wouldnt worry about it. I wouldnt tell him off for not sitting down with you either as you are more liking to put him off, if that makes sense? Let your lo explore books by himself. If you get a noisy book he might be willing to sit down and turn the apges with the tabs whilst you press the noises. My lo cant press the noises on her own yet.
  • Options
    usbourne books are fab. both the noisy and touch + feel ones are always a hit with my son. their also pretty invincible as the pages are really chunky and thick, hes had a few of them for a while now and their still going strong.
    he also loves the peppa pig books with the sound buttons in the bottom corner and anything with flaps! x