Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

when lo learns to talk!

hi all,
just wondered how soon everyones lo started talking, my little lad is 19months old he is my third child whether that has anything to do with it i don't know! anyway he says a few things his latest is 'spider' he can say 'tra' and 'football' he won't say mummy or daddy he did months ago but just won't say them, just wasn't sure if this was normal or not!
how much do your little ones talk?

michelle xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi michelle

How are you keeping? I remember being told once that your 1st child talks sooner than any subsequent children. I think its something to do with maybe other children speaking for them or something but as I've only the one I've no experience of this yet

Hilary x
  • Options
    hi hilary, i'm ok thanks, how about you? i've got consultant next wed to see about having a growth scan cos the stupid mw keeps going on about me having a home birth and it being a problem cos i have big babies, i can't tell if she's just doing her job or if she is really trying to put me of home birth. but appart from her annoying me i'm ok!!! xx
  • Options
    I have a 20 month old who says dada, muma and cat, nothing else. We are trying to encourage his speech. He babbles away in his own language though!
  • Options
    I'm fine at the minute coz I actually managed to get a good nights sleep last night for a change. Midwives over here dont seem to be keen on homebirths full stop, to be honest its still a bit of a taboo in N.Ireland unfortunately. What weight was your last baby?

Hilary x
  • Options
    oh i didn't know you were from there! my dad lives in southern ireland. my last one weighed 9lb 7oz!! and i'm not a big person i'm only about 5"1 and normally between a size 10-12, god knows what i am now!! lol

sara-e-poos, lol my lo babbles away i'm sure he is confused with all the new languages coming into our country!!
  • Options
    Gosh he was big but if you managed with him hopefully everything will be ok for this one too.

Did you say that you were from Wales? coz I have a friend who is from Austria though she lives over here & shes bringing her lo up to be bi-lingual (English & German) & I remember her saying that they are initally slower to start talking than a child who is brought up speaking just one language.

Hilary x
  • Options
    yeah from wales but i can't speak welsh, oh can but doesn't to the kids, so don't think it's that. i think it's just cos of the other kids maybe and the fact he is a boy cos they are supposed to be slower i think. x
  • Options
    Hes still young enough though I dont think its anything to worry about. They all do things at different rates or so I'm told as I have nothing to compare mine too yet, though it wont be long. I'm starting to get really excited

Hilary x
  • Options
    yeah it's more real for me now, the mw brought all the equipment to the house yesterday, so i have drugs in the fridge and gas and air behind the bar (yes we have a bar in our house) i better make sure oh doesn't touch the gas and air and pretend he has been drinking!!! lol
  • Options
    Sounds like a great party house, especially if you started on the gas & air!!!! I wish it was the end of oct instead of nov & then I'd only have a moth to go
  • Options
    i know i hate the last few wks, i only have 20 days left and it feels like a life time away!! i can't even imagine another baby really hope will cope with 4 kids!! xx
  • Options
    my 20m old daughter can say dada, mama, nana, dog, cat, bed, bath, pocoyo(kids pro), hi, bye, more, dinner, juice, milk, cracker, weetabix, bricks, good boy, computer(well almost more like compuper), book, tedbear, gone, pram, jake(her uncle), nose, ear, eyes, hair, car, park, apple, orange, cow, toast, horse, one,two, baby, wet, weewees, poopoos, off, shoes, socks.
    She said daddy once and that was her first proper word at 10m and shes said mummy once too at 1yr.
    Is this advanced for her age?

Fiona x
  • Options
    Hi all. As a speech and language therapist we would see children if they weren't joining words together by around 2 years old (e.g. "mummy juice" "teddy up" etc) All speech and language therapy services have an 'open referral' process which means you just need to call yourself and you will receive an appointment. There's no need to go through a G.P or health visitor. If anyone has concerns I'd advise even phoning your local department and asking for some advice over the telephone. We're generally a friendly bunch!
  • Options
    Hi all,

My daughter is 2yrs 5mnths. She can now say about 300-400 words! Her speech is cominga long really well and she comes out with the funniest things now. I have to be careful what I say around her now bcos she only has to hear somebody say something once and she will pick it up and say it herself. We r currently going thru the "why, why but why mumm?" phase arrrgggghhh. Other favourites are "ooooooo thats nice mummy" lol! "whats that mummy" and she has to say goobye to every1 and everything. She evens says goodbye to our house before setting off to nursery in the morning lol