Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

hidden veg.

hey girls, need some ingenious recipes to get my 4 year old to eat some vegetables, any ideas welcome x.
(bribing him with ice cream doesn't even work!! it's serious! lol)

Replies

• Options
    I don't know what you have tried so appologies if you have tried the following:
    Vegetable fingers go down a treat with my lo. Does yr lo like mince? I can only get 'real' veg down my lo that way. I give him veg in spag bol, mince, cottage pie, you get the idea. Does lo like pizza? putting it on the top sometimes works covered in cheese so lo can't see them. Does lo like raw veg? dipping them into dips sometimes works.
    I love reward charts and my lo responds very well but he is younger than yr lo.
    Good luck it is so exausting when they won't eat.
  • Options
    Hi i normally mix some peas and sweetcorn in with some mash for my little girl or do silly things with the plate make faces and stuff with the veg.

Hope this helps xxx
  • Options
    aaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!
    he just won't try anything new, wont eat mash potato (although i'm still going to try cottage pie), def. won't eat any veg if he can see it!! tried making a tomato sauce with veg inside, but wouldn't even touch it (with pasta) i'm going to try putting some in his macaroni cheese coz he likes that. he is very picky with pizzas but i think if we make them together he might eat it!! will just have to keep trying , thanx for your ideas x.
  • Options
    Hi, I tell my twins they are having chips for tea and cut the veg to look like chips and boil as normal theen add a few real chips in - usually works with them x x
  • Options
    hey, how old are your twins?
    i give the l/o veg chips and harry does like the idea of them but won't eat them, i'll just not tell him and maybe he won't notice!! image
  • Options
    Hi, my twins are 2, it was my nana who told me to make veg into chips and pretend it was just chips - she did it with my mum and auntie and it got them to eat veg too! They also love mash potato so I blend veg to a puree and mix it with the mash and they love it - don't think they realise but they are getting the goodness so thats all that matters x x
  • Options
    have u tried homemade pasta sauce?
    jar passata+same water carrots corgettes celery onion peppers aubergine, anything u like really, cook til soft and blend, great with cheese melted in image
    makes loads so u can freeze, i also use it as sauce for fish and chicken, my 10yr old dont have a clue,lol. xx
  • Options
    yeah tried wouldn't touch it, he likes spag. bol. though so will try making it myself for the whole family am also going to try putting some in his cheese sauce coz he loves macaroni cheese! hopefully he won't notice, i'll get some veg into him if it kills me lol!! image
  • Options
    i find placing my los veg on my plate then offering them to her help alot because she thinks that they are mine makes her want them but also the pasta sauce works a treat
  • Options
    my sister used to tell my nephew that everythig was chicken... sausages were chicken, spag bol with mince was chicken, ham was chicken & veg was chicken. she just told him they were different shaped chicken! :lol: poor lad was about 9 year old before we started telling hi what sauages were! :\)

i think the chips idea is great! might try that if daniel starts gettign fussy but tbh his fav meal is a pile of veg with gravy on top!

Just a question... did he used to eat the veg ? or has he always been anti veg? daniel never really got much of a choice in meals. veg was always on every meal so is just used to it being there.

maybe try a reward chart for starting with keeping it on his plate,then a sticker for puting some in his mouth, then a sticker for swallowing some sticker for eating the lot.

would something like that work?

xx
  • Options
    I have the opposite problem with my boy, Luke - it's a struggle to get him to eat anything else (meat, poatoes etc) unless he has got veg on his plate!!!! Loves green beans, peas, carrots and sweetcorn (especially on the cob!!). Both my girls like their veg too, same as Luke plus green trees (broccoli). Alex, my youngest is just embarking onto proper food, like ours but just mashed up. Had chiken softened in milk with potato and green beans, mashed in a mini blender, and loved it! Can't offer any suggestions I'm afraid as we don't have that problem but good luck to you all!!!
  • Options
    hey millie1807 (again!) my l/o is called luke! he loves his veg. so did the older one til he was about 1 and running around (too busy to eat!!) will try everone's suggestions, like the magic mash!! got some veggie fingers- he said eeurgh it's got seaweed in it!!